We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport

england
Level Contributor
97 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
airport

never been to kenya before do you get any hassle at the airport going in or going out

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport

There is no 'hassle' as such, but remember it is a developing country adn as such things do operate a lot slower. You can speed it up by having your visa and entry permit filled out prior to getting to customs and your money ready.

As for exiting, you/your bags will be searched up to 3 times. They are very strict on electricals brought in to the countrya dn that the same exact ones leave with you again. Just takes a bit longer to exit that's all and the queses on entering the airpiort can be quite long, as they usually only open one screening booth for you bags.

Sam

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport

Hello

We have just returned from Kenya 4/01/2007.

Arrival at Kenya ,you will have to fill in entry forms and visas,be prepared for a queue,saying all that it only took us about 50 mins to exit the airport once we had left the plane.

You are only allowed to take 200 cigs through if you are a smoker and one litre of spirits per person,if you take more they will charge you anything frrom £10 upwards,if you do smoke don,t bother getting your duty frees here as they are a lot cheaper in Kenya (£8 for 200 in hotels and £4.50 from duty free shops when returning to uk)

Departing from Kenya, be prepared for more queues as the Kenyan security checks put ours to shame,you will go through at least 5 checks before you get through to the departure lounge,your cases will most probably be searched.you will be patted down.

Just grin and bear it the Kenyan airport staff are pleasant and they are doing their job and they want to get you through as quickly as possible .

Hope advice is useful have a great time as we did.If you require any more advice just ask.

Regards Larry

uk
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport

can you buy english cigarettes in kenya.and how much.and what would happen if i had more than my allowance in my case when going through the security checks at the airport on my return home

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport

Hello

The cigarettes i stated in my previous post were Embassy king size at £4.50 for 200,this is the price at the duty free shops at Mombassa airport,you would have gone through all the xray machines at this point,you would still be checked prior to boarding and they would not be interested in how many cigarettes you have leaving the country.However when you arrive back from Kenya to England you could take the chance of being stopped and searched by our customs and if you are over the 200 limit,as some of my friends found out you will have all of your ciggis confiscated,they will not even allow you to pay the excess,and they will not return your legal limit,,be warned.

There were some passengers who however got through with suit cases full of them,i think it is just random searches in the UK,,

Luck of the draw i suppose.

Regards Larry

uk
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport

when going through the secuity checks at the airport for the flight home.would the security take cigarettes from my case.i would have thought no,as long as i have not got to many over the top.any anybody had any experiences

6. Re: airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations