We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini-Bus or Jeep?

Folkestone, Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Mini-Bus or Jeep?

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice on safari's and what the best option is.

My partner and I are getting married at the Severin Sea Lodge in August this year and are looking to book a 3 day safari for the 2nd week. We've been weighing up our options and are now considering flying to the masai mara, can someone tell me if this is worth the extra money, and what are the chances of us seeing the migration?

HITS seem to be offering the best rates at the moment but from the look of their website it seems that they only have mini-buses, rather than jeeps, does this make a big difference?

Has anyone done a ballon ride? Can you give me an idea of the cost?

I'm getting very excited now, so will undoubtably be very annoying for the next 7 months asking lots of questions, but it keeps me happy!

Thanks for all your help.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

Hi have a good wedding at the Severin Sea Lodge.

If you travel in August to the Masai mara you have very good chances to see the migration. (from the balloon even better)

When you do a Aiursafari normaly the lodges/camps only use

Jeeps for the Game drives. If you book a Safari by road you may travel in a minibus. Both travel have their pros and neg

but with the road situation at the moment (it may change up to

August) a 4x4 is advisable

Karibu Kenya

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

Hello, My husband and I stayed at the Severin Sea Lodge in December-good choice- and flew to the Masai Mara staying at the Mara Safari Club. I booked this from England with D.M.Tours. We had 2 nights in tent 12 (the best view), 6 game drives and all meals. The only extras were tips and drinks and we were collected from the hotel and returned to it, it cost 385pound each and was worth every penny. We were on Safari in a LandCruiser and had three games drives with only us and the driver, we felt very special. It really is worth checking out this place (lonrho hotels) and D.M. Tours was faultless. I contact Lilian on line but paid the deposit over the phone, which took seconds then paid the rest on arrival at Severin. Good-luck Pat

3. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2009, 21:47
Folkestone, Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

Great, thanks for everyone's advice, I didn't realise that jeeps are always used in the Mara.

If anyone has any advice on the hot air ballon it would be really appreciate.

Thanks

Katy.

London
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

We went last Sept and booked safaris once there with secretsofafrica.com good rates and well worth it . Enjoy your holiday.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

We were in the Mara in August with Kuoni, in a mini bus. It got everywhere the Kuoni jeep got, usually before them too - no problem. The only difference was that the jeep was a private group of 5 and our van had 2 other couples in it with us. Retrospectively, if the cost isn't prohibitive I'd probably opt for a private jeep for the 2 of you, bit more flexibility to do what you want.

We did the balloon ride from Mara Serena, cost approx £200 each. Although it was fantastic we had to sacrifice an early morning game drive for it. That morning the rest of our van saw the animals crossing the river and our balloon ride definitely did not compensate for missing that.

Decided to purchase an extra game drive at 11am from Serena and the driver did his best to make sure we saw it then, otherwise I'd definitely have felt we made the wrong choice by opting for the balloon instead of the drive.

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

We had a 3 day safari in Tsavo with DM tours (Landcruiser) in November 06 and it was an extra £100 for a private safari - well worth the extra cash.

8. Re: Mini-Bus or Jeep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa