We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese (Lunar) New Year

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese (Lunar) New Year

I am planning a cruise from Singapore to Shanghai that arrives two days before CNY 2019. I am looking to extend my stay for up to a week to experience CNY. I am well aware that CNY is primarily a time when younger generations visit older generations and exchange gifts and money and that this spans two to three weeks. Many cities also have several events such as parades, fireworks, lanterns, and other celebrations. I'm trying to decide where I can experience the most events in the fewest number of days. Options might be staying in Shanghai (but I don't think they have a fireworks display), heading to Hong Kong, going back to Singapore, or ???. Can anyone provide input on where I can experience the most celebratory events in a short timespan?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
4 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,239 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese (Lunar) New Year

"... Many cities also have several events such as parades, fireworks, lanterns, and other celebrations...." - no, you got that part wrong. It is family gathering. No public celebrations. Some big cities like Shanghai get pretty quiet but in the second half of the holidays some people start to travel for tourism.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,813 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese (Lunar) New Year

You said you'll be there before the new year? Yes that's usually when you'll see the most celebratory events. I am more familiar with HK.) The days before the new year will be the most fun. New Year's day will see most places close and the city quiet, then from the second day of the New Year on, the city begins to come back to life.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese (Lunar) New Year

Please don't reply if you don't know. There is always a night parade in Hong Kong and a Harbor fireworks show. I'm looking for someone who is familiar with the timing of these events and if there are similar events elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese (Lunar) New Year

You have already been advised of the timing of these events in HK;

https:/…91808441

Reply to: Chinese (Lunar) New Year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted