We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

Spokane
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

I just returned from a flight out of Beijing's Terminal 2 where I had my portable lithium battery charger confiscated from my hand held luggage. Even though I had the paperwork to support that it was less than 100 WH it was still taken. They showed me their restrictions contained in a 3 ring binder and it didn't jive with what I saw on line. I had mistakenly left my charger in my checked baggage on the flight out of Terminal 3 to Mongolia and didn't remember it until after clearing visa inspection. Fortunately my bag arrived on time with the charger still inside it. I know others whose bag arrived several days later with the charger gone and a note saying the charger had been taken.

Several months ago why flying out of Ho Chi Minh City on Korean Airlines I saw others who had their checked luggage pulled from the flight who were carrying lithium chargers in their bags. At least there one could watch the luggage go through the screening process and immediate address the problem.

Mentioned in this post
11 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
148 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

During a trip to the Far East last year, I had no problems taking my charger in and out of China (Guangzhou) and Hong Kong in my carry on. It was only in Singapore that they seemed to have some minor issue with it, they asked me what it was, and passed it amongst themselves, inspecting it, before getting a supervisor, but they let me through with it in the end.

Guess I'll read the guidelines closer next time.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:55
Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

Charger? I guess you mean the lithium cells/batteries. They need to be put into hand luggage.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

OP, curious what your WH for the powerbank that was confiscated from your carryon luggage? I was planning to bring my 52WH this summer to china.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

Reports are that they don't take much notice of the power rating and will confiscate anyway.

Level Contributor
148 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

@Mikecc46, that's interesting to note. Guess I'll leave mine back home when I visit China later in the year.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

Paperwork wont help, they want the Wh clearly printed on the device itself.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,280 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

Traveling to, through, and around China by plane, these things are more trouble than they're worth.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

I always assumed Chinese airport security will always find anything in my carry-on pack, always. They have the most effective airport security anywhere. Things in my pack I have passed through multiple airports will be found by them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

That's a bummer on the confiscation as I have three kids and my 52Wh powerbank are lifesaver on long overseas trips. Is Shanghai Pudong airport just as strict as Beijing? I know they didn't confiscate my powerbank about 3 yrs ago when we were last in China flying into/out of PEK, PVG, SHA, KMG airports.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Capital Airport
Capital Airport
Beijing, China
Pu Dong Airport
Pu Dong Airport
Shanghai, China
Kunming Airport
Kunming Airport
Kunming, China
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger

It needs to be labeled showing the Wh under 100. I've had the problem more in Shenzhen. Only place so far to try to confiscate. Everywhere else in china they try to see the worn out label give up then place it back in the x-ray bin. I got a new phone that my old battery (Anker) doesn't support. It was hard to find a company where the label didn't scratch right off. One rubbed off with barely any effort (Ravpower). The other one i ordered has an aluminum case and no matter how hard i scratch, the label shows no wear (Jackery). Should be much easier for me from now on.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Reply to: Beijing airport confiscated lithium portable battery charger
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted