We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silk Road: Itinerary Comments

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Silk Road: Itinerary Comments

Hi all,

In late July, we are planning a 10-day Silk Road trip from Urumqi all the way to Xining. We are a group of 4 people, quite energetic, and speak adequate Chinese to get by as tourist.

I have drafted an itinerary and should like to invite comments from all of you. We know Urumqi-Xining is a large place to cover for 10 days, but if we can cover the major highlights in each places, we'll be happy enough. Since we have a few people between us, we are happy to take a cab or use ride-sharing app to get from place to place if that would significantly save us time.

21 July

- 13:30 Arrive at Urumqi Airport; acclimatise, maybe Erdaoqiao Bazaar (any other suggestions?), sleep in Urumqi

22 July

- Tianshan Tianchi day trip; 19:44 CRH train to Turpan North (20:58); sleep in Turpan

23 July

- Turpan; sleep in Turpan

- [Question 1] Any suggestion of how to utilise one full day in Turpan? Is chartering a taxi for a day worthwhile? At what price?

24 July

- 9:36 CRH train to Liuyuan South (13:05); 13:30 taxi to Dunhuang; Echoing Sand Dunes & Crescent Lake; sleep in Dunhuang

25 July

- Mogao Ccaves; 14:00 taxi to Liuyuan South; 16:44 CRH to Jiayuguan South (18:43); sleep in Jiayuguan

26 July

- Jiayuguan Pass & Overhanging Wall; 13:31 CRH to Zhangye West (14:43); 15:00 Taxi/Bus to Zhangye Danxia; sleep in Zhangye

27 July

- Mati Si in early morning if time permits; 11:10 CRH to Xining (13:11); 14:00 Taxi to Ta'er Monastery; sleep in Xining

28 July

- charter a car with driver and leave early for a day trip to Qinghai Lake (morning) and Chakayan Lake (afternoon); sleep in Xining

- [Question 2] Any idea where to find a good driver? How much would that cost? I believe most asked their hotels to find it, but will be staying in private home-sharing accommodation.

29 July

- lazy day; rape seed field & Gangshenka snow mountain in Menyuan by CRH then taxi/bus if still got appetite/not tired; sleep in Xining

30 July

- wake up rather late; fly home from Xining Airport early afternoon

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much indeed :)))

Lim

Mentioned in this post
Silk Road
Silk Road
21 Reviews
China
Urumqi
Urumqi
Xinjiang Uygur, China
Xining
Xining
Qinghai, China
Urumqi Airport
Urumqi Airport
Urumqi, China
Turpan
Turpan
Xinjiang Uygur, China
Dunhuang
Dunhuang
Gansu, China
Jiayuguan
Jiayuguan
Gansu, China
Zhangye
Zhangye
Gansu, China
3 replies to this topic
Lanzhou, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Silk Road: Itinerary Comments

You visit the scenic spots in the city.,,,No problem.

from Urumqi to tianshan is 90km.One day, you need to hurry up.

from Urumqi to Turpan is 192km,I suggest you take a train,

from liuyuan to dunhuang,if you take a taxi,about 150yuan.

26 July,you visit the Jiayuguan Pass & Overhanging Wall,go to zhangye,you no time visit the zhangye danxia park.,,,from zhangye to linze is 45 km.....

Mentioned in this post
Urumqi
Urumqi
Xinjiang Uygur, China
Turpan
Turpan
Xinjiang Uygur, China
Jiayuguan
Jiayuguan
Gansu, China
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silk Road: Itinerary Comments

I think our travelling styles are too different for my detailed comments to be much use to you. We also travelled by train from Urumqi to Xining (then on to Lanzhou) but with fewer stops and more time at each. For example, we spent two full days and two part days around Turpan and felt we could of spent more. My favourite individual sight there was Jiaohe ancient city.

There we had the hotel manager's father drive us. At other towns we hired the taxi that took us from the station to the hotel. I'm not sure if this will be an issue for you, but at a couple of stations, msybe Hami and Jiayuguan, we not allowed to exit until they had called our hotel to make sure we had our claimed reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Urumqi
Urumqi
Xinjiang Uygur, China
Xining
Xining
Qinghai, China
Lanzhou
Lanzhou
Gansu, China
Turpan
Turpan
Xinjiang Uygur, China
Jiayuguan
Jiayuguan
Gansu, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silk Road: Itinerary Comments

@lanzhouguide Many thanks! Will adjust my plan in Jiayuguan and Zhangye accordingly.

@Mikecc46 totally agree as i generally tend to go slower. this trip however is meant to be a photography trip where each of us have eyes set on different locations at particular times of the days; hence the itinerary. really appreciate your feedback on issues at certain stations, will make sure me and my friends are prepared for that.

Mentioned in this post
Jiayuguan
Jiayuguan
Gansu, China
Zhangye
Zhangye
Gansu, China
Reply to: Silk Road: Itinerary Comments
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;