I have drafted an itinerary and should like to invite comments from all of you. We know Urumqi-Xining is a large place to cover for 10 days, but if we can cover the major highlights in each places, we'll be happy enough. Since we have a few people between us, we are happy to take a cab or use ride-sharing app to get from place to place if that would significantly save us time.
- 13:30 Arrive at Urumqi Airport; acclimatise, maybe Erdaoqiao Bazaar (any other suggestions?), sleep in Urumqi
- Tianshan Tianchi day trip; 19:44 CRH train to Turpan North (20:58); sleep in Turpan
- Turpan; sleep in Turpan
- [Question 1] Any suggestion of how to utilise one full day in Turpan? Is chartering a taxi for a day worthwhile? At what price?
- 9:36 CRH train to Liuyuan South (13:05); 13:30 taxi to Dunhuang; Echoing Sand Dunes & Crescent Lake; sleep in Dunhuang
- Mogao Ccaves; 14:00 taxi to Liuyuan South; 16:44 CRH to Jiayuguan South (18:43); sleep in Jiayuguan
- Jiayuguan Pass & Overhanging Wall; 13:31 CRH to Zhangye West (14:43); 15:00 Taxi/Bus to Zhangye Danxia; sleep in Zhangye
- Mati Si in early morning if time permits; 11:10 CRH to Xining (13:11); 14:00 Taxi to Ta'er Monastery; sleep in Xining
- charter a car with driver and leave early for a day trip to Qinghai Lake (morning) and Chakayan Lake (afternoon); sleep in Xining
- [Question 2] Any idea where to find a good driver? How much would that cost? I believe most asked their hotels to find it, but will be staying in private home-sharing accommodation.
- lazy day; rape seed field & Gangshenka snow mountain in Menyuan by CRH then taxi/bus if still got appetite/not tired; sleep in Xining
- wake up rather late; fly home from Xining Airport early afternoon
Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much indeed :)))