We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

Greater London...
3 posts
Save Topic
how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

Hi,

I have both a chinese and british passport but want to go to China for a holiday using my British passport and so need to apply for a chinese visa. The visa application asks for your previous nationality and i think require a photocopy of the passport. Will they take away my chinese passport if i give it to them? has anyone managed to solve this problem? thanks

Mentioned in this post
9 replies to this topic
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

China does not recognise dual nationality. Once you are a citizen of another country your Chinese passport is invalid.

Get a visa.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

China does not support multiple citizenship. In other words, either you are a liar, or your status is illegal in China.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,466 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

Why are you keeping this Chinese passport? You are going to China and not using it.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

Yes they will keep your Chinese passport and if you enter China on your Chinese passport and they find out about your British citizenship you will be considered as staying illegally in China. A friend of us is in very hot soup because of that.

Mentioned in this post
Greater London...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

I want to get a visa for my british passport but in the application they ask for previous nationality and you need to provide a copy of this and so they will find out about the dual citizenship and presumably take the passport away. Is there another way around this? does anyone know about entry via hong kong perhaps?

thanks

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

You do not have dual citizenship. When you became British you lost your Chinese citizenship. Get rid of the Chinese passport so that you are not tempted to use. Get rid of the ID card too.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,343 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

Your former nationality is Chinese. So you are only allowed to travel on your British passport. You do need however to supply your information on the previous situation.

Contact the embassy. Here in Holland they now have some sort of Chinese green card for ex citizens that is valid for 5 years or so. If they don't have that in the UK, you should apply for normal visa withy your British passport.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,409 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

You are going to need to give up that Chinese passport and hukou and renounce the citizenship, there's a bunch of documentation you'll need to do that is extra to a normal foreigner visa application, and it may take some time, so start early. Even then, the Chinese may do what they are doing to new US citizens in this situation, and refuse to give out a Chinese visa in the new country's passport for 2 years, forcing them to use a special "Travel Document" for travel to China during this period.

There are people who try to do what you are doing, keep their Chinese citizenship on the sly while taking on a foreign citizenship. This is getting harder to do than it used to be due to better information technology systems. Traditionally, people who double-dipped never directly entered China from another country, but used Hong Kong as a connection point, entering China on their Chinese passport from there which of course, wouldn't require a Chinese visa. This means that you would not be under British protections while in China, but would be subject as any Chinese citizen. Also, if you use your British passport to book a flight ticket to Hong Kong and enter HK that way, the Chinese might find it interesting about how there's no record of you entering HK as a Chinese. Perhaps this would work if you booked your international flight to HK on the Chinese passport and entered HK that way as well, so from start to finish, you are Chinese. Or it might not, depending on whether the British turned in your Chinese name/passport number to the Chinese for cancellation in their database and your Chinese passport is already invalid.

Rather a mess, yes? And best you get it cleared up well before you need to travel.

Mentioned in this post
Greater London...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British

thank you, yes i think i will to give up the Chinese citizenship and hope that they will still issue a visa for my british passport as im supposed to be flying next month

Reply to: how to get chinese visa if dual citizen Chinese and British
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted