We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

THe UK Air China site says it is forbidden to take in "Chinese Renminbi (RMB) in cash form "

Is this right?

Thanks

Doug

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,062 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

That is incorrect.

shanghai.customs.gov.cn/Default.aspx…

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

No it's wrong, as noted above, but be advised that exchanging cash in the UK will usually give you a poor rate. There is a limit to the overall amount of cash that you can bring into the country without making a customs declaration. There is info about this on Beijing airport website.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,449 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

Of course not otherwise why would you be able to buy RMB abroad in banks or money changers? As noted above, there is a limit on how much cash you bring in any currency. Most countries have this restriction.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

Out of interest, where did you read that information? I looked on their website and found the standard spiel that bibimbob referenced: airchina.co.uk/en/…customsandvisa.html

In any event, it is highly unlikely that you will exceed your cash limits. Alcohol may be a different matter... ;)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

Chinese websites in English are not the best source for first-hand information as they are mostly copy/paste and seldom updated. I love this one on the stated Air China website: "Along with your proper passport and visa, you may only travel to places in China that are open for tourists. As of March 1996, China has opened 1,220 cities and counties to foreign visitors."

Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

Found it on the Airchina.uk site I think Iaowai88's comment explains it.

Doug

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

as an adjunct - most countries have limits on what you can take in or out. even cheques. you will see this on your emigration/immigration forms.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

"...but be advised that exchanging cash in the UK will usually give you a poor rate."

Can anyone comment on whether this holds true for Canada as well?

I've been encouraged by friends and family who've travelled to China previously to exchange money in Canada prior to coming to China. I've explained to them what I've read about the ease of using ATMs. We've even set up a new bank account that should allow us use of foreign ATMs with no fees. It's hard to just ignore the advice of seasoned travellers when we're such novices, but it's equally hard when we get conflicting advice.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,062 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

depends on where in Canada you do the exchange. At banks and name-brand exchange counters, you get royally ripped off. Independent money changers outside of tourist areas, or those in Chinese neighbourhoods are the ones that give you good rates.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking RMB as cash into China forbidden?

Thanks. How does one go about finding an independent agent? I would have just gone to my bank.