We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's China Southern Airline?

Englewood, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How's China Southern Airline?

I plan on travelling to China in August and I found that China Southern Airline is one of the cheapest. I know that China Eastern isn't very reliable so I'm worried about buying a ticket with China Southern. Anyone know about this airline or have every flown on it?

Mentioned in this post
325 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,839 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

"...I know that China Eastern isn't very reliable ..." How do you know?

It is one of the large airlines in China and I flew it many times without any problems.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,668 posts
2,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

If you type the words China Southern in the search facility of this forum you will find many prior threads.

Also may be more appropriate to post on the Air Travel Forum.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

I am looking to fly my 15 year old son southern china airlines to connect to Air france then onto Athens - so much cheaper than the other airlines my student from the area said the airline is safe but service airport not v. good, no in flight entertainment, thinking just a one off maybe ok. Other airlines have worse safety record. Anyone else had their children travel o/s on their own? and would love feedback about sc airline.

thank you

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
185 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

We used China Southern and China Eastern for several flights last October and found them to be reliable, efficient, friendly, and helpful. Would use both again with no hesitation.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

Thank you!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,652 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

i think the big difference is between domestic & international. I fly with them at least once a week domestically and they are fine on 1 hour flights but I'd definitely check on IFE etc for long distance. Funnily enough out of CAN (eg to AKL or SYD) they are more expensive than Cathay Pacific out of HKG and I know which airline I prefer there ;-p.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong Intl Airport
Hong Kong Intl Airport
Hong Kong, China
Sydney
Level Contributor
163 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

Hi

Maybe a bit too late but I've just flown China Southern from Sydney to Guangzhou and return plus an internal flight.

You get what you pay for. Not a lot.

For instance, Flight leaves Sydney and we were fed about an hour later (food not exciting but not much airline food is) then the cabin crew turn off all the lights, turn up air conditioning to warm and insist the blinds are closed (not a problem with flight to China as it left Sydney at 10 pm, major issue on flight from China which left at about 9am). Not much sign of cabin crew till about an hour before landing when they feed you again. Anything you require in the meantime they are happy to provide, it's just you need to go and find them.

Seats are very tight (and I'm 152cms - never been a problem before) major issue for anyone over 6 ft, chap behind me had his legs in the aisle most of the trip and can't blame him.

I like a drink or two at night, no alcohol available.

Planes slightly seedy.

Only in flight entertainment is a small screen with one English movie and I ( in the 10 hour flight) never quite worked out how to make the music channel work. Fortunately I'd read up on CS on this and similar websites and had taken a good book with me.

I know that you don't fly because of the entertainment but on international flights from Australia, given the distances, we do tend to expect it .. best description I can give is that the whole experience reminded me very strongly of flying from Sydney to London in 1977 - it's just that things have changed a bit since then and expectations and experiences are a little different in the past 35 years.

As I say if price is a factor then they are okay. If you're spoilt (as I have been flying Singapore Airlines most recently) then you'll notice the difference.

Internal flight much the same though leg room slightly less than on international flight.

To be honest I wouldn't choose to fly China Southern if I had a choice. I agree with the previous comment ... probably much of a muchness with internal flights but if you have another choice for an international flight, I'd take it.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Sydney
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

Thank you

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

China Southern Airline are kind of reliable and always offer discount tickets.

------

Murphy from Chengdu Windhorse Tour.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,652 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How's China Southern Airline?

Internationally they (CZ) DON'T "always offer discount tickets". My travel agent in GZ has tried very hard to get my student groups discounted fares to NZ since the new CAN-AKL route started and there are none of offer - CX always produces great discounts for groups.

Reply to: How's China Southern Airline?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted