We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forbidden City Tickets

Wichita
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Forbidden City Tickets

I see that tickets for students aged 5-18 are 5Y. Where do I purchase these tickets? Can I purchase them in advance?

Special Offer
All Inclusive Mutianyu Great Wall and...
152 Reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
3-Day Beijing Sightseeing Private...
27 Reviews
from US$235.00*
Special Offer
Private All-Inclusive Day Tour...
62 Reviews
from US$70.20*
US$78.00
6 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,649 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forbidden City Tickets

"Student" tickets are for Chinese students. Child tickets are probably what you want, and for age 6-18 they are RMB 20 each. The Treasure Gallery and the Clock/Watch Gallery, which are optional, are RMB 5 each for kids. Children under 1.2 meters tall can enter free. For foreigners only, tickets can be purchased at the Forbidden City entrance, look for the Passport Window. Bring passports for every family member that will enter the FC. The advance-purchase official website is unusable for foreign visitors; some hotels and ticket agents in Beijing will agree to book in advance for a service fee. Generally, if you come without advance tickets and get to the ticket booth just before opening (08:30), there shouldn't be a problem getting in. If you will be in Beijing for at least 2-3 days, one of the adults in your party could go by the FC on arrival day and get tickets for a subsequent day.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 11:59
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,828 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forbidden City Tickets

Unless you are there during a major holiday, ticket availability is not an issue.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forbidden City Tickets

I visited the Forbidden City, officially known as The Palace Museum, yesterday. I arrived at a ticket window at about 10 am and there was a very short queue.

As a foreigner, you don't actually get a ticket. Your passport number is just entered into their computer and you show your passport to enter.

You only need to use a photocopy of the front page of your passport, not the passport itself.

For security check, you also need to carry a copy of your visa. I showed them a copy on my mobile phone and that was accepted.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
30 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forbidden City Tickets

Just checking br00,You are saying I don't need to show actual passport at places just photocopy?I am traveling on 144 visa free so will have no visa to show at security. What will happen?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forbidden City Tickets

Tracy K, I was in China for 5 weeks and a photocopy of my passport was acceptable everywhere. The only exception was at the Shanghai Grand Theatre where I had to show my actual passport to buy tickets and to attend a show.

I had to show a copy of my visa at Tianmen square and the Forbidden City. If you don't have a visa maybe you can use a photo of your TWOV stamp? Or maybe for these two places, it would be safer to carry your actual passport?

Edited: 07 July 2018, 06:14
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,828 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forbidden City Tickets

I was never asked for a visa for anything except crossing the border and checking in at the hotel. Photocopies may work but understand that you are supposed to carry your passport with you at all time. That's the law but what you do is up to you.

Reply to: Forbidden City Tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted