We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shorts

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
shorts

I understand that shorts would be unacceptable at such places as the mausoleum but don't know about elswhere.. We are going in July and would like opinions and experiences of wearing shorts for men and women please.

5 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,764 posts
824 reviews
1. Re: shorts

People wear shorts everywhere.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: shorts

I am currently in China. I have been wearing shorts and thongs (slip-slops) everywhere. I was only refused entry once (for the slip-slops) and that was at The Shanghai History Museum.

At the box office of the Shanghai Grand Theatre, I asked if there is a dress code. The attendant laughed and said this is China, you can wear whatever you like!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 08:00
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: shorts

Shorts are fine, especially in summer.

If you are a woman avoid short, shorts tho. You also wont see many middle aged and older women wearing shorts.

A man could turn up to a wedding in shorts ( not scruffy tho) and no one would raise an eyebrow :-)

So don't worry about it too much, wear whats comfortable.

Annie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: shorts

Thanks for the help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: shorts

It can be soo frickin hot in the summer that I'd focus mostly on comfort. While there are a few places shorts would not be appropriate China is more laid back about how people dress than many countries.

Reply to: shorts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted