We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Chongqing - Itinerary and Car Hire?

12 posts
Save Topic
A day in Chongqing - Itinerary and Car Hire?

We will be in Chongqing and have 1 day free pre-cruise next October. Below is our tentative itinerary:

1) Chongqing Zoo - Giant Panda

2) Ci Qi Kou

3) Three Gorges Museum or Hongya Cave

Is this doable? We will be staying at Le Meridien Chongqing. Would it better to take taxi to each of our destinations or hire a car/taxi with driver for a day? There will be four of us. Anyone with recommendation for hiring a car with driver? Any idea of the cost for our planning purposes?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

2 replies to this topic
Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Chongqing - Itinerary and Car Hire?

You could try and fit in a taxi, but it will be crowded. Definitely cheaper than hiring a car and driver, but less comfortable. This choice depends on what you are wiling to spend. You might aswell choose to hire an Uber or Didi to get around. Fares are not that expensive and you get a comfortable ride to your location.

On the itinerary:

The locations you chose are all pretty far apart and travel time by car between them can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or even more depending on the traffic situation. Chongqing has some of the worst traffic I've ever experienced.

I've never been to Ci Qi Kuo so i can't help there, but the Zoo is a nice place and quite interesting. Of course the main attraction are the pandas. It's definitely worth it.

Between the Three Gorges Museum and Hongya Cave I'd choose Hongya. Situated at the river it looks just beatuiful. the old and traditional shops inside are pretty touristy though. It's worth a visit and most people speak a little english since it's a tourist hotspot. You can try out some delicious Spicy Noodles or Peking Duck. When you have some spare time before or after hongya cave and want to get a great view of the city, you may either take a boat cruise on the rivers to get a feeling for the city or you make your way up to the south mountain to get a skyline view from a bit of an angle, the latter takes about 20 to 30 minutes from hongyadong but is very close to your hotel so the way down won't take long.

If you have the whole day at your disposal it is definitely doable and you will maybe have some time to spare depending on the length of your individual stays.

Some additional tips:

If you like spicy food just dare to try some of the endless street foods. Experience some chinese barbecue which can be found at bascially any corner. If you want a sitdown meal go for a delicious HotPot (opt for the medium spice at max.) or order some sichuan specialities like frog, pigeon, intestines or pig brain (which honestly tastes a lot like tofu). I could name some places if you like to, but honestly there are so many great possibilities to eat authentic food in chongqing that you may aswell find your own.

I hope I could help you a little. If you have any other questions about CKG feel free to ask. Have a great stay and enjoy your cruise.

Take care,

12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Chongqing - Itinerary and Car Hire?

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Reply to: A day in Chongqing - Itinerary and Car Hire?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted