We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chongquing to Chengdu to Shanghai - March 22 to March 31

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Chongquing to Chengdu to Shanghai - March 22 to March 31

We're flying from SFO to Chongqing (award ticket, can't change the destination). Therefore, we will spend the first few days in Chongqing and environs, go to Chengdu, and then on to Shanghai (after that, we have a flight to Japan on March 31 to continue our monthlong trip).

Much to my dismay, most itineraries I've found online start in Chengdu and go to Chongqing next. I suppose we'll just have to do it backwards!

At first I thought we might do a day cruise on the legendary Yangtze river, but found out that they are all minimum 4 days and we don't want to spend all of our time on a boat. So I think that's out. I suppose we'll go to the 3 Gorges Museum instead, LOL.

How would you suggest dividing up our time in the 3 places? We always like to see the major highlights of any place, but also like to get a good feel for the culture and the food by wandering around and visiting less-visited places, as well. I'm also not sure how to get from Chongqing to Chengdu. Is there a good train? We've had pleasant experiences in the past with trains in China.

BTW, my husband speaks some Mandarin and this is not our first trip to China -- just our first trip to this region.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Mentioned in this post
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
1 reply
Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chongquing to Chengdu to Shanghai - March 22 to March 31

Some things to do in Chongqing:

Hongyadong: It's a beautiful place with old buildings and great food. A bit touristy for my taste but something you need to see.

River Tour: They usually take about an hour and start very close to Hongyadong which is in the Downtown area. You get to see the city from the water and a guide talks in English and Mandarin.

South Mountain/Nanshan: Here you get a great skyline view from a platform on a mountainside. You need to take a cab up and down. The place usually stays open until 10pm. Entrance fee was about 5USD. Situated a little further back in the countryside is Shiweixian HotPot, my favorite one in the city.

The River Cable Car is something you might consider doing. It is nothing too special, but definitely fun.

Foodwise I cannot really help because most places I tried were at some street corner. There are plenty of great places to eat and experience true Chongqing and Sichuan cuisine. But do NEVER understimate the spice. I would not go higher than medium spice unless you are really familiar with spicy food and know what you're getting yourself into. Nanshan road has some great BBQ places but that's about all the addresses I can give you. Walk around and you will find some of the best food ever. The same counts for Chengdu and Shanghai (although Shanghai has a different cuisine, much sweeter and bun heavy). Definitely take some time to just walk around and find local spots to eat. Since your husband speaks some mandarin this will be a lot easier.

Getting from Chongqing to Chengdu is incredibly easy. There is a High speed Train between Chongqingbei and Chengdudong. It takes about 2 hours and costs vary between 60 and 120 yuan depending on the coach and train you take.

I've spent most of my time in China in Chongqing so I sadly am no big help for Shanghai and Chengdu.

For Shanghai and Chengdu I have mostly seen the major sights so I can't give any secret tips.

I would equally divide my time in each city.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Take Care

Marco

Mentioned in this post
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Shanghai
Shanghai