We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Hi,

may i ask if its is a better month to visit hong kong in feb or march or april?

Planning to go places like the peak, disney and ocean park, thus cool weather with least rain will be good..

as i read mixed reviews that feb is too cold, march is misty. april is rainy?

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Temps in feb will be around 15 -27 APPROX. depends on what yr used to I guess but I find it just right, or a bit warm. Not so rainy either. Dunno about pollution which sometimes spoils the view.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Hello and welcome to the Hong Kong forum,

I will agree with Guerilla Surgeon above. ALWAYS trust his wisdom.

Here is my two cents as we say in the States:

I have been fortunate to have been in Hong Kong all three months that you have listed. Perhaps a bit cooler in February, but certainly a light sweater or jacket will be fine.

March and April were about the same -- light sweater weather, very comfortable to me, coming from the northeast USA. On a really nice warm day, a long sleeve shirt was fine. You might find it colder coming from Singapore though.

Rain wise -- I suppose it is really hit and miss. On all my trips there, sometimes I would have a gray pattern with light rain for a day or two; nothing that really ruined my vacation.

I am sure the local HK experts like Katetam and drumbrake could really give you their thoughts on the weather -- ditto for the ever helpful random sunshine. Trust these people as well -- they truly know their stuff.

For weather right now -- check out the Hong Kong Observatory's fine website -- www.hko.gov.hk/contente -- they may have historical weather data there, but I always find those summaries too general to really help me.

Good luck with your planning, and let us know how else we can assist you.

Steve in the USA

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

My suggest is you should either come right before Chinese New Year (next year's New Year's Day is February 14) or early March. The period leading up to CNY has a good festive atmosphere as locals get ready to bring in the new year. There are also various markets with seasonal merchandise that are only available during this time of the year.

Otherwise, early March is usually a good time. Later in March, the weather usually becomes misty as spring begins. Either date, both periods see good sales happening too so happy shopping.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Among those 3 months, February best fit your requirement of cool weather with least rain, but the temperature in February may sometimes be lower than cool.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Try to come between Feb 1 to 13, or end of Feb 2010 to first half of march. Feb can be very cold, with our current temperature in Nov, I am wondering how much colder it will be in Feb. To me, Feb in hk is the coldest month.

April is humid, warmer, and rainy, and most expensive for hotels. High season.

Bring warmer clothes, come in Feb, not Feb14 to Feb 17, most business will be closed for Chinese new year.

Just my opinion.

singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

thanks for all the nice suggestion..

if i am considering end feb to early march...

say 23rd or 24th Feb to 3 March (Chinese New Year being February 14), which falls within the 15 days of chinese new year, will places like disneyland be especially overcrowded? and will all shops be open on days like lunar 15th of chinese new year (ie 28feb)?

thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

Shops will be open business as usual by the time you visit. Disneyland should pretty much be back to normal too, meaning that it shouldn't be crowded at all.

8. Re: Best month to visit Hong kong (Feb march or April)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2010, 13:16