We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Hong Kong in October

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in Hong Kong in October

My husband and I will be travelling in Asia for a month this October. During that time, we will be visiting Hong Kong, Japan and China (Beijing and Shanghai). We will be in Hong Kong from October 9-13 and October 17 - 24.

We are trying to pack as light as possible for this trip and would appreciate suggestions about what to wear/pack for Hong Kong in October.

Thank you :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

>> what to wear/pack for Hong Kong in October.

Summer cloths. Seriously. Typical 25C days. May be a very light jacket just in case. That's Hong Kong only. Beijing and Shanghai are different.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/cis/climahk_e.htm

Vancouver
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

Thank you Happy Feet. Now my questions is what type of clothing is most appropriate for HK? When I check the internet, it sounds like people in HK dress up quite a bit. I was planning on taking a couple of pairs of long yoga pants and nice tops since they will wash and dry quickly. My husband was going to take 2 pairs of jeans (black and denim blue). I'm wondering if is should take something other than yoga pants????

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,269 posts
5,506 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

HappyFeet seems to get cold feet! LOL... I won't even bother with the light jacket in Hong Kong in mid October. Even in the evening, its just moderate, not cool yet! Still about a month away from cool evenings.

However, as you will be spending time farther north in Beijing and Shanghai, you might need something there so you might as well pack a light jacket.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

>> it sounds like people in HK dress up quite a bit.

While that maybe the case for white collar workers. Blue collar workers dress very casually. You are a tourist... you may dress anything you like. Jeans/polo shirts are just fine. (Sorry I am a guy. I can't suggest female apparel.) I wear my shorts most of the time. Nobody will give you a second look.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

>> HappyFeet seems to get cold feet! LOL...

That's HappyColdFeet. LOL

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

I don't think I'd be needing the light jacket out of doors, but the vicious air conditioning in some restaurants, shops - and above all the Macau ferries - means that the jacket will probably come in handy even this far south!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Now, I need a woman's perspective on what is considered proper dress attire (for women) while travelling in HK. We do not want to stand out like a 'sore thumb' and be too under dressed or over dressed. By the same token, we want to be comfortable and ensure that we have good, comfortable shoes on our feet (perhaps runners). Do we need to bring some dressier clothes and shoes?

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

Out of curiosity where are you staying during your time in hong kong. I have 3 places booked and can't decide which one. So just asking. We will be there during that time as well. October 22-26th.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

Wear comfortable but not heavy walking shoes for all the walking you will be doing. A couple of pairs of lightweight trousers (full length or 3/4) and a few comfortable lightweight tops all of which can be washed overnight if need be. And maybe a light linen jacket for the evenings 'just in case' even though you may not need it.

Worst case scenario from a female point of view = there are shops in Hong Kong everywhere.

Whatever you wear, I can assure you that you will blend in,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,269 posts
5,506 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Hong Kong in October

There is not much of a dress code for being in the general public. As long as you are not walking around in a scuba suit or astronaut costume, you'll be fine. Actually, in Mongkok and perhaps some spots in TST, its ok to wear that gear as well. :-)

We have all walks of life on the streets in Hong Kong so its usually a mesh of everything from business power dressers to tourist families in matching Hawaiian swim wear and sandals. I'd say, just wear comfortable clothes that allow you walk around and enjoy our city and its attractions. Even for our cultural and music performances, locals and visitors very often show up in shorts and casual wear. Nobody really minds.

However, if you might be enjoying a nice restaurant or two, then having something a bit more conventional for dining out will definitely allow you to feel more comfortable during these times. Nice restaurants are one of the few places that we attempt to conform to dress codes in HK. It can make one feel a uncomfortable when they are the only one in the house wearing shorts and sandals.