We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

Wellington, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

Hi freinds,

So my wife and I are travelling to NZ from Mumbai and we have a 10 hour layover at Hong Kong.

We land on 9 am on Friday and the connecting flight is at 7 pm the same day which leaves us with atleast 10 hours on hand.

Leaving aside 3 hours to leave and get back in the airport, we still have 7 hours to explore the city. Since this is the first time at Hong Kong, we are looking for some suggestions.

I have found out few places such as The Peak and Big Buddha and also some shopping places such as Stanley Market and Festival street. But I am not able to put them in such order that I will not waste while visiting these places.

I guess someone with some geographical knowledge and experience would be able to help us out. Please feel free to add some suggestions of must visit places too. Thanks everyone for the help.

Cheers.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

As you have rightly worked out, you will have around 7 hours.

I doubt that it will be possible to cram in visits to both Stanley and the Buddha, in that time frame. What you may want to do is to take the Airport Express to Hong Kong and then either walk to get a cab to the Peak Tram Station.

Head up the Peak, hopefully it will be a good visibility day when you are there. Allow a maximum of 2 hours for this part of your trip. Having done the Peak you could take the ferry over to Mui Wo on Lantau Island and from there take bus no 2 or 2S up to the Big Buddha site. This should take about 90 minutes in total , (including the ferry), giving you some time to visit the Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery, where you may wish to have something to eat in the restaurant there.

Finally you can take bus #23 from the bus station down to Tung Chung to do some shopping at the CityGate Outlet Mall if that interests you. From there you can get in a cab to the airport.

All in all it will be a tiring day but you should have enough time to cram it all in

Good luck in your planning

Edited: 15 July 2013, 14:25
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

Alternatively, you may want to leave the Peak, take the Star Ferry over to the Kowloon side and then head up towards Mong Kok, and take in the Ladies market.

Whatever you choose to do, I doubt that you will have enough time to include Stanley in your itinery, if you wish to do other things

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
5,665 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

In addition to steve_ben2004's helpful suggestions above, there is a Top Question (FAQ) setup with some layover suggestions and thoughts that you can have a glance.

Also, you can find quite a few questions on this topic having been asked before, simply by typing in the question in the Search Box at the top of this page and you'll have access to all.

In the end, you should be able to see some nice attractions during your layover. Hope this is useful and that you enjoy your time in Hong Kong.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,621 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

I think you will not have enough time to visit the 3 places you mentioned: The Peak, Stanley, and Big Buddha. It takes time to go from one place to another in Hong Kong. You cannot assume the best case scenario on all legs, and actually should build in some contingency allowance.

To do either The Peak or Big Buddha is easy. Doing them both can be challenging.

Let's do a time analysis exercise:

Airport to Hong Kong Station. 24 min ride. 10 min headways. Say about 45 min.

Hong Kong Station to Lower Peak Tram Terminus, by taxi. Say 20 min.

Queue for Peak Tram. Can be 30 minutes.

Tram ride time. 15 min.

Tour around the Peak Tower, sight-see. Say 60 min.

Queue for Peak Tram (down)... can be 30 min.

Tram ride time: 15 min.

Taxi to Central Ferry: 20 min.

You see... up to this point (only visited The Peak), you would have spent 235 min per my estimate. Or roughly 4 hours. If you proceed to tour Big Buddha via ferry (slow) and bus, it will take more than 3 hours for sure, to include some tour time.

The Peak and Big Buddha would be difficult. The Peak and some shopping should be okay, but probably not Stanley as it is far away at the south end of Hong Kong Island. If you hit some traffic - and there is such possibility... you may need to ride a taxi all the way to the airport to save time.

The Peak and Big Buddha may be possible if you use taxi only as transportation - to save from the transfer and wait time.

Wellington, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

Thanks everyone guys. Thanks Happyfeet for the time analysis. I am ok with visiting only one or two places with some street shopping in the layover rather than running around to see maximum places.

So mostly I will go to the peak followed by lunch and then some shopping. Maybe walk thru the city or harbour before heading to the airport.

Does that sound doable?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,621 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

>> So mostly I will go to the peak followed by lunch and then some shopping. Maybe walk thru the city or harbour before heading to the airport. Does that sound doable? <<

Yes NNikhil_nb. That sounds quite doable. The big question is what kind of shopping you want to do. There are hundreds of shopping malls/streets/areas in Hong Kong. If you let us know what kind of things you are thinking of buying, perhaps we can further advice on how to fit that into your plan.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

I would only go to the Peak if it is a relatively clear day.

Although I have not been in HK for 3 years, the last time I was there the haze from the air pollution was so bad it was impossible to see the Peak, in which case a trip up there might be a waste of time, given the time at your disposal

I may be about to commit tourist heresy here, but the Peak has never really held a great appeal for me. I have always found it to be a tourist trap of the worst kind and certainly not on my personal list of 'must sees'.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 14:09
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,094 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

The Peak really doesn't offer the best view in my opinion. Smog is an issue during the Fall and Winter months when the northern winds blow the pollution into the city from mainland China. The best attraction of the Peak is to spend an hour walking the Lugard Road loop. It can be quite refreshing and you get to see HK from various angles.

Wellington, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

That sounds great. Thanks for that Happyfeet1234! I believe streets are better reflection of the city than malls. Plus they are cheap too. So I am mainly just looking to do some street shopping though I won't mind going to a famous mall if time permits.

Agree with you steve_ben2004. I would probably have a plan B in place incase there is too much fog on the day. No sense in that really. Thanks again everyone. :)

10. Re: 10 hours Layover in Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 13:19