We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

California
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
Save Topic
Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

Most of the tours for these places seem to be at sunset.

Are they not as good to look at other times of the day, such as midday or afternoon?

I'm thinking of custom tour and don't want to necessarily extend it to after sunset.

For instance, this full day tour runs from 11-20:00 and sunset is around 18:00 in June.

https:/…

But it doesn't include a dinner option like others and I'm not really interested in the dinner -- rather get back to the hotel and get something quick.

The tour does list beaches and places that I hadn't seen before. I don't know if the pictures on that webpage are all from Uluwatu or some other places nearby.

For Tanah Lot, do you need shoes for the water to cross it in low tide or are you just viewing it from the coast?

Does low tide coincide with sunset?

Mentioned in this post
Uluwatu
Uluwatu
Bali, Indonesia
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
5 replies to this topic
australia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

I think for the most of us, and speaking on behalf of Aussies, we don't book customised tours. Getting out and about we do with a car and driver with our choice of itinerary. If you're wanting to see Tanah Lot specifically and not a sunset (which is the same sunset all over the world) I would choose a daytime visit, preferably in the morning. Doesn't the customised tour give you information about low, high tides? Sometimes guides don't give a specific answer as they're after the business.

Mentioned in this post
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
California
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

I'm mainly looking at the web sites of some of these drivers and they have some tours there. I would assume they're receptive to modifying them.

But the ones I've seen for Tanah Lot and Uluwatu seemed to be timed to go to them at sunset. Presumably that's a popular time and there may be some other events for that time of the day at those venues.

In particular, some kind of dinner and a dance performance at Uluwatu.

Yes I would prefer to customize and try to go during the day. Presumably less crowded at those points but like I said, maybe these places are geared towards sunset. Apparently they collect some kind of entrance fees so maybe they're closed at other times.

Mentioned in this post
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
Uluwatu
Uluwatu
Bali, Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

Tanah Lot is one of the most often visited temples by tourists, you can go any time during the day into the evening. Tides change daily so you'd need to consult a tide chart if you want to go at low tide.

Mentioned in this post
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
perth
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

There is only one road in/out of Tanah Lot and it gets extremely congested at sunset. I’m talking 1.5 hours to get from Tanah lot to Seminyak.

Personally I think it’s quite spectacular any time of day so would plan to visit in the morning.

Maybe check what time it opens and get there before the heat of the day. Tanah Lot is open durin the day - you pass through a ticket booth as you walk in from the car park, it’s not expensive to enter.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 13:05
Mentioned in this post
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanah Lot and Uluwatu questions

Hi ag,

Suggest you say exactly where you are staying/exact overall itinerary. If staing in more than one place you may find you can simply turn transfers into mini sightseeing tours.

If you read the forum you will see that every recommends you simply get a Private Driver for the day for IDR600k ~ $45. That is for the whole van privately to yourself 9am to 6/7pm ish. NOT Per person. Do/see what you want, when you want, spend as much time or as little time as you want. Eat when and where you want.

You're in charge. DO whatever you want.

When people want to go snorkeling I suggest they get a private driver for the day, go to Blu Lagoon at Padangbai and do a bit of snorkeling then go off sightseeing - see what you want.

We've had a private driver for 6hrs to just go to Villa Kitty near Ubud then go to Ubud itself, bit of Monkey Forest, wander, shopping then back to Kuta.

Private Drivers have their own suggestions but you don't have to take them. YOu make up your own.

It is not difficult.

It is easy to get a driver off the street or just ask on here for recommendations.

SOme people want to visit Uluwatu and then some "agents" or drivers automatically assume you "want" to see the Kecak dance or have sunset dinner at Jimbaran.

You don't have to do anything. You could get a driver and go to Uluwatu Temple have a wander then go off to PadangPadang and go surfing if you wanted.

Purely as an example a typical tour from say Kuta/Legian/Seminyak which you could make up yourself could be

Kuta - Goa Gajah - Ubud Monkey Forest - have a wander through Uubd, grab some lunch, perhaps Ubud Palace -Taman Ayun temple Gardens -Tanah Lot (for sunset)

OR

do it backwards

or

drop Goa Gajah, do it backwards and stop at Tegenungan Waterfall

Mentioned in this post
Padangbai
Padangbai
Bali, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta