We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on the way to Amed

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling on the way to Amed

Based on TAs’ advices, I booked Sea Breeze on the way to Amed. And plan to make snorkeling stops at Gili selang and Japanese wreckship on the way as our villa is far the other end and we can do on Tulabem when we check in.

Can you help me to plan properly?

1. Can we make a snorkeling stop by car? These sites are reachable from beach or can we hire longtail boat for an hour from each site easily?

2. Should we just hire longtail boat from Candidasa and go all the way to Japanese wreckship so that we can stop by as many possible stops on the way?

3. Or should we take a car to Gili Selang and hire a boat from there to all the way to Lipah and have lunch in Lipah and rent scooter to go to our villa which is further than Amed beach?

I am ignorant about local situations and need your insight!

We won’t have much luggage. I currently have a small backpack - smaller than normal school backpack - as I used it for mountain trip in China and currently am visiting in Seoul - I sent my luggage back to UK before starting a trip in China. My hubby will have a carry-on luggage which we probably want to leave it at the airport. I can leave mine as well and carry 70g tiny backpack for swimsuit, t-shirt, and underwear - and our snorkel equipment. This is smaller than normal handbag and that said, easy to do boat trip without car waiting for us.

3 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling on the way to Amed

Hi Catherine.

If you detail where exactly you are staying in Amed then can better advise on best spots and where and when.

GILI SELANG

There is no direct access from the shore. Currents can be very dangerous. Close to the mainland Between the bay and out around the headland can be very dangerous close to shore.

Also can not snorkel on the open sea side of the Gili - dangerous. Both instances there is a high risk of surge and can easily get washed up onto the rocks. Can only really snorkel on the northwest side of the Gili facing the bay.

You might try finding a fisherman in the bay north of Gili Selang who will take you around and wait for you.

If he is willing he could also take you to Japanese Shipwreck. Would be ~ 30mins by boat. However I would personally just get your driver to wait for you in the bay and he could also act as interpreter arranging the fisherman/boat

JAPANESE SHIPWRECK

Japanese Shipwreck do once you arrive in Amed either before or after checkin.

Dive there quite often and the car park isn't from the beach entry point. There is a little shower on the beach (just a pipe on a stand).

EXACT PROPERTY

Please note that Amed is well spread out and much of the road from Japanese Shipwreck to Jemeluk Bay is uphill/down dale.

From Japanese Shipwreck to the dive centre I use in Jemeluk bay it is 20mins by road.

TULAMBEN

Tulamben has no beach. It is a volcanic rock shore with large rounded stones under foot. It can be awkward getting in/out even with snorkeling gear.

Personally speaking the best place to snorkel in Tulamben is to snorkel in the shallows. At the east end of the bay near the Mimpi resort there is an access road off the main road just before the Mimpi resort. This goes down to a parking place down by the 'beach". Used by all the dive centres . Just get in there and snorkel east in the shallows then out around the headland a little. Generally the surge is quite light. I've snorkeled out here with the wife.

This is basically also a local dive site called the 'dropoff'.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling on the way to Amed

Wow.. this is so helpful! Thank you very much😍😍

I want to make the best snorkeling trip for my hubby who is making this short trip out of such a busy season at his work. My brain goes mad!

We booked Ashlling Villa which is quite far away from main Amed area. My hubby wanted a luxury villa and could not find a better one near the main area. He was happy to try a couple of scooter rides which are our vacation thing - to be honest, we have done only once in Koh PhangAn over Valentine day trip earlier this year and loved it. Haha.. I still wonder if it would be better to book hotels which allow us to jump in water off the hotel for snorkeling as we always book a hotel like that. We will see!

Edited: 08 June 2018, 20:01
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling on the way to Amed

Hi Catherine,

my 25yr old daughter (Marine Biologist/Rescue Diver) was in Koh Phangan last October/November working on a Reef research project in the North - it was her first time on a scooter - but as she remarked Koh Phangan roads are pretty quiet compared to Bali. She said she wouldn't want to try it in Bali.

The roads around Amed can be a bit worse for wear in places. Potholes and missing asphalt/tarmac.

Ashling Villa - nice place but is a bit out of the way both for half decent snorkeling and local Amenities. There's nothing locally if you want to eat out etc.

And unless I'm wrong you're only staying one night so is it really worth it.

Reply to: Snorkeling on the way to Amed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted