We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for solo first timer - does this work?

London, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for solo first timer - does this work?

I'm a seasoned traveller but I'm helping my brother who hasn't ever travelled by himself and I think needs a bit more structure to his travels.

He is travelling to Holiday Inn Resort for a friends wedding and will be there for 4 days. He then has 7 days before travelling home on the evening of the 8th day. He wants to do a 3-4 day tour followed by a few days relaxing in a nice hotel by a beach. He is not a party-er.

However my suggestion and this is where i need some input is to get a driver to take him to Ubud after the wedding and do day trips from here like white water rafting, bike ride to the rice paddys, walk to monkey forest, maybe Batur sunrise trek (though the trips ive seen all require you paying for 2 people).

Then after 3-4 days in Ubud get a driver to Uluwatu to chill for a few days OR go to Nusa Lebongan for a few days? Im worried Uluwatu might be a bit too similar to where he is for the wedding, any other easily reached destinations without too much travel time?

Im trying to help him see a bit more than just one location while not have him moving all the time as I think he will cope better with just a couple of hotel moves.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,293 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for solo first timer - does this work?

Hi caroline,

Exact dates please.

Firstly the general advice is to always book tours/activities once in Bali. You'll often see the online 2PAX "con".

Basically the best thing is to always go to a tourist booth wherever you're staying and book/haggle trips.

Don't worry. You can go to tourist booths the day before and book things.

WWR takes place on the Ayung and Telaga Waja rivers near Ubud. I've seen these advertised online for $80 (things in Bali often advertised in $ online but ultimately you pay IDR locally). A friend of my daughters from Nottingham who's going on an "awesome". Organised tour has WWR as an extra at $80.

If you go to a tourist booth you can get WWR for IDR400k or less.

ALL activities will also include free pickup and free dropoff on return.

Please give EXACT info on Holiday Inn Resort. There are lots of them.

If 7 days then he could do Ubud, Lembongan and a couple of days at a "southern resort" before flying home.

All fastboat companies wil include some sort of free pickup from Ubud and free dropoff at any major "southern resort" on return.

www.rockyfastcruise.com probably the best company. They do free pickups but from only a central point in Ubud - Coco Supermarket on Jalan Hanoman so VERY important you check exact location of Ubud property.

You could book online to be sure for your brother.

UBUD

Ubud is a town and also a district so please check EXACT location of any property, Do NOT rely on Hotel blurb on location. Properties over 10miles from Ubud take the pi$$ calling themselves Ubud. Simply ask on here to confirm.

LEMBONGAN

www.newbrosurfing.com do snorkeling trips to Manta point off Penida for IDR 200k.

"Southern resort"

Make sure your brother is back on Bali mainland before flight home. Look at Sanur. A llaid back resort area. Calm swimming beach. Lots of non-pretentious sea front eateries/bars. Also main street Jalan Danu Tamvlingan with plenty of eateries shops

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for solo first timer - does this work?

Hopefully he will meet other friends at the wedding who he can do some things with. Also, there are 3 Holiday Inns in Bali, so difficult to really know where he will already have been and what he would be seeing..often weddings have groups of excursions...do check first and see what they have planned.

In Ubud, he can easily join other groups for Batur hikes. The small tour booths put people together so it's not just a group of 2..If he doesn't want to actually hike up to the top he can combine it with one of his day tours and see the view from the ring road. Most of the views you see on social media are actually from the ring road anyway.

So, after the wedding, assuming he is still travelling by himself, have a taxi drop him off at his hotel in Ubud. From there he will meet a lot of nice local drivers who can help him figure out wonderful day trips. Rafting, bike tours are all easy to arrange the day before with local providers as well.

Depending on his own tastes and interests, he could stay in Ubud for the 7 days, or stay a couple of days on a beach where he doesn't have to worry about transportation if he is a little shy about logistics. Sanur is an easy place, very close to airport as well. If he does go to Lembongan there are a ton of boats from Sanur.

London, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for solo first timer - does this work?

Thank you both very much. The dates are 11th -24th september. I believe its the holiday inn resort in benoa and sadly he is the only friend from the UK travelling for it, its a very small wedding so unlikely to meet others.

Ill look through what youve suggested properly but booking trips there i remember being a lot cheaper thanks for the reminder, its been a while!!

Reply to: Itinerary for solo first timer - does this work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted