We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

Brisbane
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

Hi wonderful Bali buddies,

We are heading back again this November, 1st time with our 4 kids (aged 9,8,7,3), and 2 sets of grandparents. Mums and Dad are going to do a few day trips on their own, so for a family morning/day out I am trying to plan a kid-friendly trip, relatively close to Ubud. So far, I have on the list:

- Tegallalang rice terraces

- Mengening Temple OR Tirta Empul (can the kids feed the fish at either? Which is most child friendly?)

- Semuan Tiga

- Setia Darma House of Masks and Puppets

I have planned to drop into the central places of interest during our walks each day (ie. Monkey Forest, Palace etc).

What other places can I add to the list that don't have too many stairs? my Dad won't make it back up unfortunately so places like Goa Gajah are struck from the list. They will see Taman Ayun on their way south.

Also, are there any good rice field walks close to our homestay? We are staying 5 nights at Sumantra House in Jl Hanoman. I know of the one that runs up behind Puri Lukisan and the Campuhan Ridge Walk, but don't want to venture too far with whingy toddler in tow unless it has a good track that I can push our hired Mountain Buggy stroller on (3 year old daughter has a kidney disease and gets tired very quickly).

Thank you well in advance again for your much trusted knowledge. ONLY 155 days to go!

BT :)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali Taman Beach Resort & Spa
Bali Taman Beach Resort...
98 Reviews
Anturan, Indonesia
Nelayan Restaurant & Puri Bar
Nelayan Restaurant...
242 Reviews
Jimbaran, Indonesia
Campuhan Ridge Walk
Campuhan Ridge Walk
4,676 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
6 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,836 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

Do try to see Goa Gajah anyway, I am slightly disabled myself but have no problem with Goa Gajah. And you can add Yeh Pulu which is also nearby (both within a few short minutes drive from the Mask Museum)

There are also lots of rice fields around Ubud that you can see from the car (at Ceking Tegallalang I don't even get out of the car at all anymore) . Also if you go to Tegallalang Batur volcano is only another hour north and the views from the lookout points are stunning. (its also quite cool up there in case you are tired of heat and humidity)

Edited: 11 June 2018, 12:46
Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Casuarina
Level Contributor
378 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

The walk to Cafe Pomegranate is flat and easy apart from the first fifteen metres which is up a rough steepish lane. It takes around 15 minutes and there are plenty of ducks to see in the stunning rice paddies. If you go late afternoon you can have a drink with spectacular sunset views. On the way back we have enjoyed seeing the fireflies either side of the path just after dark but I’m not sure if they are there year round. Take a torch if you are coming back after dark.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Pomegranate
Cafe Pomegranate
498 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,573 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

If you have a driver then Taman Ayun temple Gardens is nice and flat. Can't remember how much you can easily push a buggy around.

Depends how far you want to venture.

Bali Botanic Gardens and TreeTop adventure park are ~ 1h30.

Website is a bit rubbish. Click on the "English'' flag

http://krbali.lipi.go.id/

Bit further on is Ulun Danu Bratan which is a very easy walk

Mentioned in this post
Taman Ayun Temple
Taman Ayun Temple
1,387 Reviews
Mengwi, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bali Treetop Adventure Park
Bali Treetop Adventure...
654 Reviews
Bedugul, Indonesia
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
232 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Brisbane
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

Thank you for replying. I will have another look at goa gajah as husband and i have visited before so maybe we will take dad. The boys are heading north on a separate day to the tree tops park and we will see taman ayun on our way through to our villa in legian. Taman Ayun is easily one of my favourite complexes in Bali! :) will definitely add yeh pulu on too. Thank you again guys!

Mentioned in this post
Bali Taman Beach Resort & Spa
Bali Taman Beach Resort...
98 Reviews
Anturan, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

Forget Mengening with the kids - a couple of the steps are so high that I needed to crawl up them! And also they are coated in a lot of green slippery algae. That said, it's a lovely temple.

You can add Samuan Tiga to Goa Gaja, Yeh Pulu & Mask & Puppet Museum. The big wall at the back of the temple complex at Samuan Tiga gets the sun in the mornings, so looks nicer than when it's in shadow.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
801 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud

We did dinner with the elephants at Bali zoo recently. It was fantastic. Close up cuddles and feeding elephants, two short shows, interaction with other animals like orangutans, and a yummy dinner. The cost included passes to the zoo, which also has a water park.

Mentioned in this post
Bali Zoo
Bali Zoo
3,030 Reviews
Sukawati, Indonesia
Reply to: Looking for more day trip ideas with little kids around Ubud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted