We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Melbourne
Level Contributor
883 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Fetch and Cary and Baby Rupiah's first Bali adventure.So today we headed off to Bali. Alarm set for ridiculous o'clock, bags packed and ready to go. How hard card it be?

The first change to our quick easy Bali trip was the packing. Instead of packing many pairs of shoes (my daywear Crocs, my poolside Crocs, formal wear Crocs etc.) my bag was filled with Baby Rupiah's food, formula, nappies, pool floaty thing, toys, bottles, half of the baby section of the chemist and of course several different hats.

So at this stage along with the fabric I have to take over for the business, there is space for me to pack my medications, a hairbrush and a pair of undies.

Trying to be the organised, responsible mother I claim to be I booked a cab the night before and requested a wagon or maxi taxi. Why did I bother? 15 minutes after pickup time and no sign of the cab. Helpful lady on the phone said they couldn't find one, but was trying. In the end, I asked them to send 2 normal cabs, figuring with the two suits cases, pram, porta-cot, duffle bag, 2 carry-ons and us there was no way we would fit in one sedan. Well, it took ages for a cab to arrive (long weekend in Melbourne they are all busy hosing out the vomit from drunken uni students). Lucky for us the driver liked a challenge and had spent a great deal of his youth play Tetris. He got all the bags in, even if Fetch had to sit with his knees around his ears, holding the pram on his lap.

Lucky for us short lines everywhere in the airport, and our house is so close to the airport its like out of the move The Castle..

We were expecting challenges, as airports are often a tricky place for us. Picture this I have a spinal cord implant so I can't go through the normal metal detector, we travel with a medicine bag that has a better range of medications than some small-town hospitals (some of these meds need state and federal permits, and could make me a pretty penny if sold down the local housing commission flats!). Plus Fetch just naturally looks dodgy..... Add into the mix baby food, pre-filled baby bottles and a bunch of butt cream and we thought we would be answering questions for a long time. How silly we were. They saw how cute baby Rupiah is, commented on his huge chubby cheeks, gave the bags a quick glance and sent us on our way.

We had time for a quick nappie change and then it was pretty much time to board... Having a baby is great! You get to board even before first class! The reason for this is it takes almost the entire 6 hour flight to figure out where to put all the baby crap.

At first I was worried, as they had confirmed we had a bassinet booked for Rupiah, but they didn't bring one round. The baby other two babies in our row had one.... When eventually asked the hostess where out bassinet was she asked how my baby weighed (kind of a personal question I think!). She apologised for not setting one up for him. She thought he was too heavy so hadn't done it. I explain that he just carries the weight in his cheeks and is only 8kg. So in a minutes time, the bassinet is set up, Baby Rupiah is asleep just in time for food.

Up till now, Fetch had been moaning about the lack of personal TV screens, and that we only had a flight map to watch. We both thought this was odd, given the magazine listing all of the movies on offer, the headphones in the seat pocket and the fact that Garuda is a full-service airline. So imagine how happy he was when the Dad across the aisle pushed a button in the armrest and up popped the personal TV. I think the baby sapped his brainpower.

The flight was better than we expected but worse than it could have been. Garuda brings around a package with Heinz baby for squeeze pouch, Heinz jar of food and a baby juice box. So maybe I didn't need to pack half the kitchen, however not one of the hostesses could figure out which toilet had the baby change table. We had a great time visiting several toilets all with no luck.

People make spending special "the together time" in an airplane toilet sound so exciting.... And I always thought if I were in plane toilet with someone else it would be fun and thrilling.... Guessing they aren't on a moving plane, with a baby who just learnt to roll over this week, changing dirty nappies on the lid of a toilet seat....

Lucky for everyone on the plane Rupiah slept for the first three hours and the last hour. The other two hours we're not much fun for anyone. Don't know why I bought Fetch a seat - he had to stand up for a long time! There was a ten-week old any next to us that slept the whole way and didn't cry once. Fetch made a comment to the father that the "newer models look good. Much quieter than the models they were bringing out in January"

Anyhow Bali here we are. Not too long of a wait in the immigration line. Rupiah got his first passport stamp and out we went. Luggage and the pram came fairly quickly, then out we went. Another game of Tetris getting everything into the car, but we made it. Baby Rupiah was stripped down to his singlet and nappy and I would have down then same, but seems to be frowned upon when adults do this.

Checked at Kusnadi Hotel. Just like in the TV show "Cheers" I feel like Norm whenever we arrive. Girls came running from the kitchen and the desk, lining up to take turns pinching his cheeks. The room boys got everything squared away in our room. One offered me a baby cot, then one of the room boys pointed out the one we brought with was better than the one they had....

We decided that after being up since 4 am we needed food and then a swim. So nice to go somewhere you can order without even looking at the menu. We experimented with baby Rupiah in their high chair, with limited success. It was no problem because the girls were all happy take turns holding him whilst we ate. Think he even worked the front desk for a while.

After lunch time for a swim. The first-time baby has even been in a pool! He had his stylish swimsuit, swim hat, sunnies and pool float. He loved it. He kicked, he giggled, he splashed, dribbled and floated around the baby pool. What a champ! I think Bali life is going to suit him.

Fetch, Rupiah and I all thought it was time for a nap. So being the mother and that can't cope without organisation, they had a nap whilst I unpacked, created a nappy change area, organised detergent and boiling water, washed and sterilised the bottles and more fun stuff. This being a mum on holidays is very similar to being a mum at home, you just get to wash the bottles in lush tropical gardens.

Eventually the boys woke up and we went for dinner. We did a lap down to Jalan 66, and noticed Warung Murah had a line out the door. We walked along the beach path and cut through Jayakarta. It is looking a little gentrified around there. Bunch of places with barista coffee and panini sandwiches. Is that what people come to Bali for now?

Decided to eat at Yutz a) we had to walk past it to get home and b) there was not a large crowd of loud smokers in there, unlike many other places.

I had a lovely chicken curry served in a coconut and Fetch didn't know what he was getting.He ordered "chicken Ayam" which. Is "chicken chicken" Waitress is used to dumb tourists and brought him the chickesweet and sour. All up 260k with three soft drinks.

Meanwhile baby Rupiah was trying to fall asleep and Fetch had dropped a fair amount of rice on his head whilst we were eating (Fetch's turn to wear the Baby Bjon).

So home and in bed safe and sound by 8pm!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kusnadi Hotel
Kusnadi Hotel
250 Reviews
Legian, Indonesia
Warung Murah
Warung Murah
530 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
The Jayakarta Bali Beach Resort
The Jayakarta Bali Beach...
1,652 Reviews
Legian, Indonesia
16 replies to this topic
Brisbane
Level Contributor
678 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Thanks for a great laugh! I remember travelling os with a 7 month old so totally get the packing and plane issue! Spunds like a very busy 24 hours!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Such a great report. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of your stay unfolds.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

How do you fit in a HNR whilst being a mum?!!!!

Thank you so much, looking forward to reading more about your holiday x

Orange County...
Level Contributor
634 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

I too remember the days of giving my baby a "rice hat" on many an occasion. lol

Great report. Can't wait to hear more on how it goes with baby Rupiah in tow. :)

Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

I didnt think your HNR's could be any funnier...but add child and hey presto. I smiled the whole read. Im taking my then 16mo grandbaby in decemeber so look foward to reafing more and learning some tips...congrats by the way

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Great read made me smile laugh thanks for taking the time to write. I haven’t travelled to Bali with a baby only toddlers but could totally relate. I’m heading over for a short stay in a few weeks staying around that area. Look forward to reading more.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Have been so looking forward to your first HNR with baby, I am guessing it will deviate a bit from previous ones where Fetch spent a lot of time with the boys sharing stories and Bingtans !! Rupiah sounds an absolute delight, and will probably be a big hit with the Balinese ladies, you will struggle to get a look in. Have a great holiday, and I wait in anticipation for your next post.

perth
Level Contributor
192 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Thanks for the HNR! Can relate to standing up the whole flight trying to keep a baby quiet! Look forward to the next one

australia
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Thank you, melbcowgirl, so delightful. I'm sitting on my verandah in Ubud having just learned I'm to be a great grandmother and the child will be a traveller. Have a wonderful holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby

Thanks Melbcowgirl, I also enjoy reading your reports and look forward to hearing more.

And congrats baliAustralia, excellent news.

Reply to: Day one HNR Fetch and Cary and a baby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted