We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
883 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Normally when I tell people how well baby Rupiah sleeps they call me names. For months now he has gone to be at 8.30pm and woken up at 7am, apart from the odd rough night. Well, last night he showed me. 4.45 am and he is awake, wants to play, wants to eat. I had been warned about this and decided the only reasonable thing to do ways to go "tag your it" and tell Fetch he owed me from the nappies on the plane.

Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to reserve one room for them and one room for me, so whilst I tried to ignore them it is hard to sleep through the whole morning routine, especially when one of them gets throwing a ball with a bell in it at your head, and no it wasn't the baby doing the throwing...

Eventually when I have decided there is no chance of sleep the boys decide it's time for their morning sleep and fall asleep. So I grab a nice hour in the bale in the garden.

During the day it's sometimes used for massage, but in the mornings it's my new "gaff x". My secret hiding spot. It is literally 10 stepping stones from our room. Even so, an hour later I hear Fetch telling the baby Rupiah that "mummy has abandoned us and run away". Seriously boys - look directly in front of you!

Anyhow time for breakfast and we decide we will try feeding him in the pram today, as the baby chair is lovely, but Rupiah still needs one that reclines a bit. The cheeks weigh him down and he topples forward otherwise.

Well, the girls at breakfast were not happy about the pram. They wanted to play and hold and squeeze the cheeks. After the longest time, Nik remembered they had a job to do asked if anyone had taken our order (they had not!). So back to work for a bit for them. I had an omelette and Fetch had banana pancakes. Baby Rupiah had a pouch of squeezing goop from home. Then... It went a little pear-shaped. Decided that given he loves mushy fruit to try watermelon. We have had an extensive allergy testing carried out on Rupiah, due to a family history of anaphylaxis and so far he has passed with flying colours. However, they didn't test for watermelon. Within about 2 minutes he had a bright red face and hives coming up all over his pudgy little body. Luckily I had packed for every scenario and had the antihistamine squirted down his throat in no time. Of course, then he starts giggling and being cute again. Still kind of pink like a watermelon, but the blotches and hives went away fairly quickly.

Poor little guy, but much more traumatic for me than him I think.

We then decide we should go for a walk to Bintang supermarket for some supplies. Note to everyone. Take a pram to Bali. If you don't have a baby rent one or put a doll in the pram. We got all the way to and from the supermarket without any shopkeepers harassing us. No one tried to sell us ANYTHING. They all smiled and made faces at him, said he was cute. Even all the hotel security guards we passed we're goo goo gahing over him (or whatever the Bahasa Indonesian equivalent is). Got to the supermarket and security guy is wanding everyone with his metal detector before they can go in. Except us....he just makes kissy faces at Rupiah and ushers us in.

Now the new part is boring unless you like going to supermarkets and pharmacies in other countries. But for me lots of fun. First, we hit up the baby aisle. For those of you that want to bring a baby to Bali without packing the entire house, they do have nappies (Japanese brands and Pampers), a million different types of wipes, all the Johnson and Johnson baby lotions and potions. They have bottles, teats, sippy cups, dummies, bottle brushes everything you might need. The have Heinz and other brands of baby food in jars, they have baby rice cereal and a few different brands of rusks. Everything was pretty cheap except the jars of food. Those were about 30k each.

Next to stock up my essentials. Some cans of coke zero, toiletries and washing up liquid. Seriously who buys washing up liquid on holidays.... What has become of me?

We walk home and the boys have a sleep. Here is my chance to grab a massage. I am usually a creature of habbit, but thought I would live a little and try somewhere different. Now I know why I don't! Got a massage at Tlc just up the road from our hotel. Decent set up. Clean and professional appearance, but the girl just wasn't very good. It was unpleasent. She was massaging me head, but basically was just rubbing me hair into a frizzy dreadlock then tangling it some more, then yanking on my head. I've had strong massage - this wasn't it, this was more like when you are a kid and you get chewing gum in your hair and your parents have to wrestle with you to get it out, whilst you squirm and kick. But this time you got the pleasure of paying someone 130k for the privilege.Anyhow I've been told even a bad massage is better than no massage.... Not sure I agree but sin ken ken.

On the way back I see our friend Raf waiting where he parks his car for tours. I went and got Fetch and Rupiah so Raf can meet the baby. Before you know Raf has undone Rupiah from his pram, picked him up Raf has picked him up and is trying to eat his cheeks. Anyhow baby Rupiah dribbled and made a mess of the place and then off we went for lunch. I wanted to go to the little warung a couple of doors up (almost opposite Baleka) but we got there the lady said she couldn't cook anything for us as she had the baby to look after. Fetch nodded appreciatively, as he has only cooked twice I since the baby was born (he will be five months old this week).

Anyhow so we went to Chapter 2. So nice to see a business make a success out of that location and break the curse. I had nasi goreng and Fetch had tom yum goong. Must be a shortage of goong, as Fetch had only one prawn in the whole dish, but said it was still very tasty. About 220k.

Next it was time to go and see "Mr sing la pis" and change some money. The Kodak man said it is true that lots of money changers will run out of money with the banks being closed for 9 days.... But that he has plenty and won't run out. His rate was actually higher than lots of the little dodgy places and we got 10k for one Aussie dollar. So with my money safely stashed down the babies nappy (just kidding, but not a bad idea... Think you you need a ziplock bag though) back to the hotel.

I had Komang and Made the free makers coming to pick up some fabric for work and Fetch had his friend coming for a beer. The dressmaker and Fetch's friend all wanted to see the baby, but the waitresses at the hotel wouldn't hand him over. They are getting quite possessive about "Baby gamuk" or "the fat baby" as they call him. You can hear them squabble "I have to go home soon, let me hold him more, you already had your turn"

Eventually, I get my baby back and we get to go swimming. This kid loves the pool. He giggles and laughs and kicks and today we learned how to splash. This pool floaty thing with his personal floating shaded pool kabana was some of the best money I have spent. For those of you that were asking, they are around $35 online or from a pool shop like Clarke Rubber. Haven't found one in my size yet. After a long time in the pool we decided to head down to the beach and see who we could see.

We sat and had a Bintang and a Red fanta down at Roo Bar with Made and said hello to Sandra. Tried to show baby Rupiah the ocean and the sand but he wanted to sleep instead. He still drew a big crowd of admirers. A couple of girls who were around six or seven didn't even try and sell us bracelets. They just ran over and wanted to pat him and stoke him and love him and sing to him. They told him to stop crying he stopped, they told him "go to sleep baby" and he did. Seriously these two girls would make better babysitters than some of the teenagers back home... And some of my staff. By now it was dark and time for food and bed.

We braved the stairs of Warung Bamboo. Fetch with the baby Bjorn and me at the bottom of the scary stairs ready to catch the cuter of the two. I thought we could throw a rope and a basket over the railing and winch baby Rupiah up, but Fetch thought we might look a little bit too much like Michael Jackson if we started dangling a baby over the balcony.

I had tuna bumbu Bali and Fetch had tuna in garlic sauce. Both were nice if a little overcooked. 125k all up with a Bintang and an ice tea. A nice cheap and cheerful meal and then home to bed for us all.

Mentioned in this post
Bintang Supermarket Seminyak
Bintang Supermarket...
699 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bintang Kuta Hotel
Bintang Kuta Hotel
542 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Warung BAMBOO
Warung BAMBOO
124 Reviews
Bali, Indonesia
Bumbu Bali 1
Bumbu Bali 1
3,376 Reviews
Tanjung Benoa, Indonesia
9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Loving your reports, written so well!

I thought it would be hard with a pram in bali but it seems to be a bonus with bypassing, haha love it!

Enjoy x

Orange County...
Level Contributor
638 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

You are hilarious. I read others saying they have always enjoyed reading your HNRs, so I may need to go search through your old postings to read those too!

You are such a fun and great writer!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Another great report and a great way to start my day! It's good that you now have the heads up on watermelon but I hope that's the end of the discovery for allergies!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Thank you so much for your HNR. Your son is the same age as my gorgeous grand daughter. I can’t wait to show her the world and your reports showing how it can be done is awesome.

Ok now officially late getting ready for work but welll worth the laugh and fantastic read. Looking forward to next instalment 👏

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:21
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Thank you for a lovely morning read.

Have a great Bali family day.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Great read as usual, can't you post a pic of baby Rupiah so we can all see his fat cheeks !

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Great reports, keep them coming. I look forward to the read.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Fab report., keep them coming!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.

Loving your reports, so glad you're back in Bali to entertain us!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Reply to: Day Two HNR Baby Rupiah needs to learn Bali time.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted