We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Bali Itinerary

NY, NY
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Bali Itinerary

Hi, I’m in the early stages of planning a solo first trip to Bali for February. I’ve been poring over this site, guidebooks, and blogs, and discovering that’s there’s a lot to do in Bali. I’m having a very difficult time coming up with an itinerary and I’m hoping to get some advice.

Before Bali, I will have a 2-day stopover in Singapore and after Bali, a one-day stopover in Tapei. The Bali part of my trip will include a week-long yoga retreat (7 nights) at the Hotel Komune in Keramas. I will have 3 days before the retreat and 6 days after the retreat to explore more of Bali and possibly Gili Air. The retreat will include a guided morning trek to Mt. Batur and a visit to the Tirta Empul Water Temple.

For my time in Bali, I would like to find a balance between sightseeing and relaxing. I’m interested in great scenery, culture, monuments, and some nice beaches. Based on my interests, I’ve narrowed potential places to Ubud, Munduk, Canggu, Gili Air, Sanur, and Uluwata. I can’t go to all of these places and am trying to pick 3 or maybe 4. I do plan to hire a driver for sightseeing. Here are the itineraries I’ve been playing with:

1. Munduk (3 nights) to Keramas (retreat -7 nights) to Gili Air (3 nights) to Ubud (3 nights)

From Munduk (Jatiluwih, Pura Ulun Danu Bratan, Nungnung Waterfall, Munduk Waterfall, Banyumala Twin Waterfall, Gitgit Waterfall, coffee plantation)

From Ubud (Tegalalang Rice Terraces, Tegenungan Waterfall, Gunung Kawi, Camphunan Ridge Walk, Kecak Dance, Monkey Forest, Pura Dalem Agung, Ubud market, Ubud Palace)

2. Canggu or Sanur (3 nights) to Keramas (retreat – 7 nights) to Munduk (2 nights) to Ubud (4 nights)

From Canngu/Sanur (Tanah Lot, Jatiluwih, Uluwata Temple, Pura Taman Ayun, possibly a day trip to Nusa Penida or one of the other Nusas.)

3. Ubud (3 nights) to Keramas (retreat – 7 nights) to Gili Air (3 nights) to Sanur or Uluwata (3 nights) I will adjust some of the things from Munduk to day trips from Ubud.

4. Munduk (2 nights) to Ubud (1 night) to Keramas (retreat – 7 nights) to Ubud (3 nights) to Gili Air (2 nights) to Sanur (1 night)

I’m hoping you can help me come up with a better itinerary than those I’m coming up with.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Keramas
Keramas
Blahbatuh, Indonesia
Gili Air
Gili Air
Gili Islands, Indonesia
Mount Batur
Mount Batur
2,410 Reviews
Kintamani, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Munduk
Munduk
Bali, Indonesia
Canggu
Canggu
North Kuta, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
230 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Nungnung Waterfall
Nungnung Waterfall
210 Reviews
Nungnung, Indonesia
Munduk Waterfall
Munduk Waterfall
331 Reviews
Buleleng, Indonesia
Gitgit Waterfall
Gitgit Waterfall
1,102 Reviews
Singaraja, Indonesia
Tegalalang
Tegalalang
Bali, Indonesia
Tegenungan Waterfall
Tegenungan Waterfall
2,953 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Bali Agung Tours - Day Tours
Bali Agung Tours - Day...
279 Reviews
Denpasar, Indonesia
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
Bali Taman Beach Resort & Spa
Bali Taman Beach Resort...
98 Reviews
Anturan, Indonesia
Nusa Penida
Nusa Penida
Bali, Indonesia
7 replies to this topic
NY, NY
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

I’d appreciate any thoughts on the above. Thanks.

Casuarina
Level Contributor
378 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

Eliminate option 4 - too much wasted time moving around. Option 2 and 3 seem good. Maybe with option 1 switch the order of Gili Air and Munduk depending on connection times to save back tracking i.e. Gili Air, Keramas, Munduk, Ubud.

Mentioned in this post
Gili Air
Gili Air
Gili Islands, Indonesia
Munduk
Munduk
Bali, Indonesia
Keramas
Keramas
Blahbatuh, Indonesia
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

Itinerary 3 looks good to me. You can do a day trip to Uluwatu from Sanur.

Mentioned in this post
Uluwatu
Uluwatu
Bali, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
NY, NY
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

Thanks for the comments. I agree that option 4 has too much moving around. I never considered going to Gili before the retreat primarily because I’m thinking of using it to just relax after the retreat and doing the more active parts of the itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Munich
Level Contributor
990 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

Option 3. You have nice mix. For the last stay, choose Uluwatu if you want to stay a bit secluded after partying hard in Gillis ;-) Sanur is okay but in my opinion 3 days are too much in Sanur, i usually stay for one nigjt either before going to Nusa L or coming back from Gilis to catch next day flight

Mentioned in this post
Uluwatu
Uluwatu
Bali, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
NY, NY
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

I'm now considering the option of Canggu (3 nights) to Keramas (retreat – 7 nights) to Ubud (3 nights) to Gili Air (2 nights) to Sanur (1 night) . It's not ideal because I would have to return from Gili Air the day before my flight and it's a little more moving than I would like. But from what I'm learning, I think I will enjoy staying in the Canggu area and still perhaps take a day trip from there to see Tanah Lot, Jatiluwih, Ulun Danau Bratan, and/or Taman Ayun.

Again, would appreciate any thoughts or insights. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Canggu
Canggu
North Kuta, Indonesia
Keramas
Keramas
Blahbatuh, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Gili Air
Gili Air
Gili Islands, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
230 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Bali Taman Beach Resort & Spa
Bali Taman Beach Resort...
98 Reviews
Anturan, Indonesia
Munich
Level Contributor
990 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Bali Itinerary

Looks good! Definitely keep one night in Sanur after Gili, there are various instances where boats gets cancelled or boats are full and then you are secluded in Gili. You have a good plan.

One small opinion, in case you get seasick quite fast and would like to avoid as little journey as possible - while coming from Gilli take tickets only till Padang Bai and take the included shuttle bus (included in fast boat price) which will drop you from Padang Bai to Sanur. Otherwise you will have to endure long sea journey from Padang Bai. However, if you like Sea and boats, sit through all the way. Sometime i sleep better in boat than bus ;-)

Edited: 14 June 2018, 07:58
Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Padang Bai Beach Resort
Padang Bai Beach Resort
366 Reviews
Padangbai, Indonesia