We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Phone Plans

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
International Phone Plans

I am traveling to Bali in a few months. I have an Apple iphone X and I will be getting the International Package offered by Verizon. It is $40 for a month/$10 a week (I will only be in Bali for 2 weeks) and I get:

100 messages (sent)

unlimed received

100MB of data

100 minutes of talk time

Knowing this do I still need to get a sim card in Bali in order to call my cousin who will be travelling with me? The whole sim card thing baffles me.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
8 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Phone Plans

You're better off just getting a local Sim card in Bali. There's no need to pay the extra money with Verizon. 100mb isn't a lot of data, especially if you will be using your phone for Go-Jek, looking up information, or using maps online.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,527 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Phone Plans

Doe sit also mean your cousin has to get the same/similar package in order for you both to have 'cheaper" calls.

For US$10 you can get a local SIM with 4GB data and call package valid for a month. Just the SIM registration issue.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Phone Plans

Not bragging here but so far I have traveled to almost 20 countries and local sim always beats roaming.

Yes it is a nuisance to register but it is possible

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
829 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Phone Plans

As long as you have internet connection, which you get from most restaurants and coffee shops for free, you don’t need to buy anything just send WhatsApp and call on WhatsApp, FaceTime and email from your existing sim from your country.

I have Apple Tablet and iPhone and use them both all the time in Bali with my own sim l just need internet connection. Am l missing out on something that so many people must have / need a local sim with all the packages????

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Phone Plans

in response to Janet: I think a lot of people just like to have data when out about Janet, well I think that's why haha! I'm like you and just use wifi for everything. Use viber and messenger for calls back home and use email for bookings of restaurants etc when in bali but have noticed a lot of locals and local businesses in bali say their what's app number so I'll have to get onto that next time!

For the original poster: 100mb is almost zilch so as suggested above use the local wifi which is available pretty much everywhere! Even when out and about and wifi is needed I always buy a soft drink and sit and use their wifi. If you get 100 mins for your international calls and factoring in the local wifi then I wouldn't think you would need a local sim but just in case you do, here is a link on sim registration that may help:

https://www.bali.com/sim-cards-internet-roam…

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Phone Plans

We usually get local sims wherever we are. Our kids are teens and we like to be able to contact each other if we go our separate ways, or someone gets lost. Wifi in shops etc doesn't help if both of you aren't in a wifi area.

We also use Google maps quite a bit, and look up things like restaurants etc in the area to decide where to eat.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
829 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Phone Plans

Thanks Rachel and Sharon, it makes sense now should you need to be in contact with someone in your group on a regular basis for meeting up.

I contact back home SA via WhatsApp or FaceTime every few days and noted my son tracks me from London via “. Find Friends “. just to check if lm on the move and alive. 😂🤣😂

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Phone Plans

I have an Indonesian SIM (I have had it for 20 years). I am with Telkomsel. For $8 a month I get 14 GB of data. You can set the Telkomsel App up on your phone and buy the data from your own phone credit.

WhatsApp is used by many people in Indonesia..

1,000 MB is 1 GB.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: International Phone Plans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted