We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
383 reviews
Save Topic
abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

We were going to see the ghost palace hotel a 200 room hotel abandoned soon after being built.

Then decided because we would be in Sanur next week,going to the old fun park in Sanur made more sense as it is closer

I believe there is an abandoned,Restaurant,hotel roller coaster disused movie house auditorium and stage,

Although I have a slight idea where it is,would be very grateful if someone could direct me to exactly it's where abouts,also is there a map to refer to

cheers

Sassafraf

Macau, China
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

Hi Sassafrat.

Check this post "Day trips out of Sanur and Seminyak" if it is not not in Bali Forum it will be in Sanur Forum and you will find what you r looking for.

Have fun!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

Crocodile Shock in Bali

Animal Rights Groups Up in Arms About Deplorable Condition of Bask of More than 130 Crocodiles Abandoned at Taman Festival Bali.

(4/25/2009) According to Jakarta Globe, the animal rights group Pro Fauna has raised the alarm regarding the deplorable condition of a large bask of crocodiles abandoned at Padang Galak, just north of Bali's famous Sanur Beach. The reptile collection were once part of the various attractions located at Taman Festival - a 9.8 hectare entertainment and recreation park operated by Indonesian businessman Bambang Pangestu. The bankrupted park closed in 2000 in a half-completed status.

Also left behind was a large group of captive crocodiles housed in a pit who have multiplied and survived, nourished by people who have brought food and, more recently, through cannibalization.

According to Rosek Nursahid of Pro Fuana, "We've monitored their condition for the past six months and they aren't being treated properly, although there are keepers that have been appointed to take care of them." The Malang-based animal rights group has made formal complaints to the Bali Conservational Agency (BKSDA) and the Ministry of Forestry in December but have received no response from these agencies.

The reptiles, kept in rancid pools, are resorting to cannibalism to stay alive. While difficult to count, a census carried out in 2007 estimated 130 crocodiles were living at the park.

The lack of an official response to a situation urgently threatening animals in Bali is pointed by some as an indication of the poor monitoring and control carried out by those charged with supervising animal welfare in Bali.

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

Thank you so much for letting me know about the crocodiles

It sounds so sad ,really don't think we would like to see them like that.

Must be a horrible position for them to be in,I hope something is done for them soon

Isn't the Bali zoo now run by an Australian couple,surely they could do something and even put the crocodiles in their zoo,

The park was closed in 1997, that's an awful long time for them to still be there

Thanks so much Linda for taking the time and letting me know about the crocks I had heard about them but thought by now they had been rescued

Also Danielll thank you for your help the Sanur forum is great and I will now search it for a different place to go to maybe the Ghost palace

cheers sassafraf

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

The post above is a cut & paste of a very biased report released a few months back. The headline actually screamed "Abandoned Crocodiles".

Goodness me, how does someone abandon a crocodile?

I have actually been there when workers have been scrubbing out the crocodile pens. This was a few weeks before the above report was written.

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

Hi cempaka, thanks for your post,

Did you think there was enough of the old buildings still standing at the amusement park, to warrant a look,we have done a lot of exploring around abandoned towns and gold fields which we love but so far this is a first for us in Bali

I am Also interested in the ghost palace,if you or anyone has been there

Thanks for your help

Sassafraf

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

It isn't that bad as Cempaka mentions... I have been there a number of times..

It used to be amazing a few years ago - like a science fiction movie like everything had just been abandoned in a moment in time - as everything was there - all the rides even the PA speakers.. almost everything.. last time I went most of the rides had gone - I think some of the horses from the merry go round are now in the window of Body and Soul on Jl Seminyak! - I did a whole photo essay of the place the first time I visited if you PM me you email I will send you some photos if you like :)

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

Yes, yes, it was a cut and paste from Bali Discovery newsletter, but , but, but , it was not intended astaking any moral high ground, merely a bit of info on the amusement park being asked about. :) :)

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

That's fine Linda ,

I appreciate your posting,any information about the amusement park was a help

Thanks everyone.

Sassafraf

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
986 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

I thought it was fascinating when I was there in January. The crocodiles are a bit of a shock; can't attest to their condition.

Reminded me of the haunted park in "Spirited Away."

At one point, we got close to a window of a building to see what was inside and a snake hit its head on the glass trying to reach us. (There were computer boxes inside.)

10. Re: abandoned Amusement Park Sanur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 13:17