We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Hi

We are flying Virgin from Brisbane to Denpasar on Thursday.

Our tickets say you must check-in at least 3hrs prior to departure (in bold).

Just wondering if people actually get to the airport more than 3hrs before take-off.

Is 2hrs long enough?

Thanks

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
761 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Check in will open 3 hours before departure so there is no point getting there before that. I usually aim to be at the airport 2.5 - 3 hours before just in case there are any issues. Sometimes you will get caught in long queues with passengers from several flights so it is best to get there with plenty of time allowed.

Candidasa, Indonesia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

I came from Sydney last week - different I know - but the queues through security and customs were absolutely huge. I needed every second of the three and a half hours I'd allowed. It's just not worth the anxiety if you cut it too fine :)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

It's pot luck really I've been to bali twice this year my first trip in march I got to the airport 4 hours early and needed every minute by the time I got through check in about a hour then I was stopped for a random search then I did my duty free shopping then before going through customs I had another bag search then customs line was RIDICULOUS but my second trip in may I got there 4 hours early and had 2 spare so we just relaxed had something to eat but coming home at bali airport we got there 3 hours early and almost missed our flight so there's a good reason for them saying to be there 3 hours prior

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Allow the three hours as we departed Sydney and the check in counter was for three different international flights and the line was very long.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Allow the full 3 hours out of Brisbane on Virgin as that morning flight leaves when a heap of others do so the line to get through Customs and Immigration can be massive and take up to an hour. Don't dilly dally up the top, go straight down and get through.

Yarra Valley...
Level Contributor
512 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Hi, this is the flight I usually get, 3 hours is good, by the time I get through customs etc., do duty free, have leisurely breakfast, walk down to departures it is spot on. Also this allows for any problems on the M-1 from Gold Coast. The 3 hours definitely required on return journey.

Perth West Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Another reason to fly Jetstar, Check in now closes 45 minutes before departure! Means you can get to the Airport around 1 1/2 hours before departure, no problems.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Yeah and then you have a 4 hour stop over in Darwin......................

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Exactly Whinnie! Would prefer to be at airport 3 hours before flight and fly direct to Bali in 6 hours and arrive in the afternoon!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin check-in time "at least 3hrs prior"

Thank you all for your help.

3 hours it is!