We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
776 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo - Transit Card Question

So I know there are a lot of options for this and it all can depend on the person, so I'm curious what people would suggest for my usage.

I travel quite a bit on the subways/buses when I'm in a city so I'll be going in and out of stations quite a bit.

It looks like I have two options the 72 hour card (which I would have to get 2 of for my 6 days) or the Suica or the Pasmo card (unsure what the difference is between these two).

When I was in Seoul, I used a friends T-Money card which I just add money with whatever I might need for my trip. In London, I have my own Oyster Card for years that I do the same.

Seems like the Suica would be the most similar, but needing to verify that.

Also is there a daily cap on transit where it becomes unlimited after a certain amount spent per day (Like the Oyster Card in London)?

Just some questions as I'm seeing so many options and not sure what I should get for my frequent traveling within the city for 6 days...

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Likely To Sell Out
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,204 Reviews
from US$145.20*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
108 Reviews
from US$56.20*
US$74.90
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
947 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
899 Reviews
from US$67.40*
14 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Suica/Passmo: stored value card for transit and other small purchases. Practically no discount is offered when it's used to pay fare or buy anything.

day pass: unlimited travel on selected metro / train line, or combination of lines. If you use those lines many times a day, it saves you money. When I am too lazy to tally fares and pre-plan the next few days of travel, and the potential saving is minimal, I just don't bother with the day passes.

Edited: 09 February 2018, 03:15
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

It seems that the 72 hour pass will be the best I think. Just because I don't have to calculate distances and prices. I also doubt I'll be using any of the JR lines anyways and if I do it would be for out of town and I can just buy single tickets there. I doubt I'll be using any buses either, but I am assuming the 72 hour passes don't include those and only include the 2 Subway companies...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Dont discount the JR lines. Yamanote and JR line can come in handy in Tokyo. Agree you are unlikely to use bus.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Yeah I looked at that a little more and it seems the easiest way to get to some of the places I'll be going such as Ebisu Station and others.

So what I'll probably do since the 72 hour Subway passes are cheap for tourists is get 2 of those (I'll be there 6 days so that can pay off), then I'll just get a Suica card and just load it up with some money for the JR trains when I take them, that way I won't have to deal with getting a ticket each time I want to use the JR rail network in town. I've heard the Pasmo doesn't work as well in some external areas of the city...

Edited: 14 February 2018, 05:00
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Sorry also forgot the Pasmo doesn't work on JR trains anyways so I'll get the Suica instead with the 72 hour passes for the subways then...

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Suica and Pasmo are basically identical other than where you get a refund.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,072 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

I suggest you stick with (1) 72-hour Tokyo Subway Ticket. Focus on using the subway for those days. For the other 3 days or so, focus on JR destinations. For most first-timers who visit 2-3 areas daily, the 72-hour version should save some decent money. However, if you get two of them, you might find you won't need to use the subway so much beyond the first 3 days.

>>>So what I'll probably do since the 72 hour Subway passes are cheap for tourists is get 2 of those

Pasmo and Suica work the same way, valid on the same trains and subway networks within Tokyo.

>>>Sorry also forgot the Pasmo doesn't work on JR trains anyways so I'll get the Suica instead with the 72 hour passes for the subways then..

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

Oh ok, guess I got my information confused that the Pasmo card didn't work on JR trains at all. I originally thought they were the same, except some outskirt areas where the Pasmo didn't work and where you could cash them in at the end (not sure I will though as I may plan to return so might just keep the card).

I was debating on the 72 hour and then the Suica/Pasmo for the rest of the trip, but the way I travel I tend to use the subways a lot in cities. For example when I use my Oyster Card in London, I'm pretty much capping out every day I'm there. So that's why I was thinking the getting both 72 hours passes would be beneficial. They aren't a lot, so for me I think it'll be worth it...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,695 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

R U only visiting Tokyo? The Suica/Pasmo cards are also good to use in other cities like Kyoto. Each card works on all the trains in each city. They don't work on the fast shinkasens between the cities.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo - Transit Card Question

I'll be taking a few side trips to Kamakura and to hiking around Mt. Takao and maybe Mt. Mitake and Hakone. But I mainly want to get it for the ease of using the JR rail in Tokyo so I can get to some of the stations easier and quicker such as Shinjuku to Ebisu for example or to Ueno, etc...

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Reply to: Tokyo - Transit Card Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted