We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Narita

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Narita

Hi guys...we are flying to Singapore with a short stop in NRT from the US. My question is..can we stay in Japan? We do not want to continue into Sungapore until a few days later, but since I found an excellent price on a flight to Sinagapore with a stop in NRT, I was wondering if we can just stay in Japan instead of continuing on our next flight. Do we have to pick our luggage in NRT, pass through customs, inmigration and all that before our next flight?

Any help with this question is truly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,285 Reviews
from US$143.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$55.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
934 Reviews
from US$66.60*
9 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,887 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Narita

US passport holder can get temporary visitor visa upon arrival

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Narita

>>Do we have to pick our luggage in NRT, pass through customs, immigration and all that before our next flight?<<

Of course you do. You can store your luggage at the airport and just take whatever you need while in Japan in a carryon.

UA passport holders can stay in Japan up to 90 days without a visa.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Narita

Welcome to Japan Forums!

Narita is some distance from Tokyo - an hour to an hour and a half--so you'd probably want to stay somewhere in Tokyo. This site has lots of good information: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

If you are arriving at NRT in the evening (or departing in the morning) you could stay in Narita City overnight. The Hotel Richmond is well-reviewed and close to the Keisei Line's Narita station, 10 minutes from the airport. Naritasan temple is worth a visit while you're there: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6401.html

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Naritasan Park
Naritasan Park
432 Reviews
Narita, Japan
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Narita

>> but since I found an excellent price on a flight to Sinagapore with a stop in NRT, I was wondering if we can just stay in Japan instead of continuing on our next flight.

If your ticket is USA -> NRT -> Singapore and you don't get on your flight to Singapore, All seats booked from Japan onward will be cancelled. If it is a return ticket, your return flights will be cancelled as well. If it is a cheap non-refundable, non-changeable ticket, the ticket will become worthless. Maybe you can get the taxes back.

Edited: 17 February 2018, 00:07
Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Usa
Usa
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Narita

Narita City is only some 30 miles away from the airport and once flourished during the Edo period as a pilgrimage and famous sightseeing site. Now-a-days it seems most tourists to Japan just want to move on to their next destination. However, if you can spend a few days, it is a great stop and there are hotels in the city which provide shuttle service to and from the airport.

There are facilities at the airport which will hold your bag(s) so you can do as Shibuyakko suggested and spend a few days with a small carry on bag which we often do. There is a magnificent temple in town, many good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, even a jazz bar. The specialty in town near the temple is grilled eel which my wife loves (and I like in moderation). I have some info here:

occasionalgaijin.com/Japanese-Galleries/n-FS…

If you have two days to spend, the town of Sawara is a 30 minute train ride from Narita city and is a historical canal town with festivals, old historical buildings, and of course, canals. While I am not that much into tourist info centers, they have perhaps the best one in Japan with friendly volunteers, free green tea, maps and information. You can ride in one of the canal boats through the town and there are several good restaurants too. More info here:

occasionalgaijin.com/Japanese-Galleries/n-FS…

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Narita

No..it is only a one way ticket LAX->NRT->SIN. Wanted to stay in Tokyo and not continuing to SIN.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Narita

You want to stay in Japan after entering and then skip the final leg to SIN? When entering Japan, they will want to know what you're plans are for leaving the country, since you're only a tourist. What do you plan to say? Also, if layover is just a few hours, you're bags will be checked all the way through to SIN.

Edited: 18 March 2018, 20:23
Mentioned in this post
Macau, China
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Narita

Instead of buying a new ticket, asking the airline to rebook the NRT-SIN may be cheaper than buying a new ticket

What you are doing is called hidden city ticketing and is not allowed by the airline.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,776 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Narita

No..it is only a one way ticket LAX->NRT->SIN. Wanted to stay in Tokyo and not continuing to SIN.

-------

Then the NRT-SIN portion will be cancelled when you do not get on that flight and you will have to buy another ticket for that.. Add to this the fact your luggage will be checked all the way to Singapore. They will generally not check your luggage only to NRT.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Staying in Narita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted