We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs question: Bring alcohol from Japan to USA

SeaTac, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Customs question: Bring alcohol from Japan to USA

Hello everyone, I sort of have a predicament. I want to bring home alcohol (1 bottle, less than a liter, bought from the airport while waiting for my flight) from Japan as a gift to my boss, however I have an odd layover in Korea where I will need to transfer from one airport to another. Here is my flight itinerary going home:

Haneda Airport(JP) > Gimpo Airport (KOR) -> transfer (7 hour layover) -> Incheon Airport (KOR) -> Seatac Airport (USA)

My questions are:

1) Will the transfer affect my ability to bring home alcohol from Japan to the USA? What is the procedure for declaring alcohol to customs, or do I even need to do that?

2) Will I need to go through customs several times? I am concerned that it is not a simple layover and that I have to leave Gimpo Airport and go to Incheon... which means checking in my baggage again. If not, when should I fill out a customs form?

3) Will I incur multiple fees through this route? For example, will I have to pay taxes going through Customs in Gimpo, then again when going through Incheon, then again when arriving in the USA?

It's all incredibly confusing to me, so I would really appreciate some help!

Mentioned in this post
South Korea
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,286 Reviews
from US$143.00*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$55.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$66.40*
1 reply
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,809 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs question: Bring alcohol from Japan to USA

If you have less then 1 liter of alcohol, there is not tax you have to pay anywhere. If the bottle costs more than $400USD, you'll have to pay tax in Korea when you arrive at Gimpo. Just make sure you have access to your checkin luggage when transferring so you can put the bottle in it. You of course cannot carry it into the airplane:



Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Customs question: Bring alcohol from Japan to USA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted