We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansai 9D8N - Recommendations on Transit & Accommodation

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Kansai 9D8N - Recommendations on Transit & Accommodation

Hi folks! I'll be visiting Kansai area for 9 days through KIX in October, and thinking of the following itinerary roughly in no particular order.

Osaka 1-2 days

Kyoto & Arashiyama 2-3 days

Amanohashidate - 2 days (overnight stay at onsen ryokan)

Himeji & Kobe 1 day

Nara 1 day

Because I'll be traveling with parents in their 60s and each of us with at least 1 piece of large luggage, I'm thinking it may be the best to base in Osaka and do day trips to the nearby cities. Is this a good idea?

If yes, which train/subway pass is the best for the locations we hope to visit? From what I researched, JR Kansai Wide Area pass seems to cover all of the places we wish to visit, but I've read that it can get inconvenient traveling and connecting within the city of Osaka. Kansai Thru pass is another option, but it seems to have longer travel times (I could be wrong and please correct me). Alternatively perhaps I can do a combo of both, using the 5 day JR Kansai Wide for long distance travels (i.e. Amanohashidate, Himeji) and Kansai Thru or Enjoy Eco Card (?) or regular Suica/Icoca cards for the shorter trips?

Also does staying near Namba or Umeda station matter? Friends have advised to stay in Namba for the scene and food, however I've read the daily commute to Osaka/Umeda station can be tedious if you stick with free rides from the JR pass. Maybe the Kansai Thru pass is a better after all?

Your advice, expertise and experiences are much appreciated. Tip and recommendations are welcome as well! Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
7 posts
11. Re: Kansai 9D8N - Recommendations on Transit & Accommodation

Hope everyone is safe if you were/are in Osaka, or have family and friends in the nearby area :(

Thanks Liars N F for the Arashiyama spots! This is why you are here to guide newbie tourist like myself.

Thanks to DLi_hk as well. I wish I can spend a full day at Arashiyama, but the current plan is to head to Katsura Imperial Villa in the morning, have lunch in Arashiyama and walk around, maybe the Sagano Scenic Ride if time permits and the weather is nice, then head to Kawaramachi/Gion for dinner using the Hankyu Tourist Pass. Are evenings very quiet and hard to find your way in Gion and Kyoto in general?

We still have another 1-1.5 days in Kyoto, but I've no idea how I can fit Fushimi Inari Taisha, Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji, Ninna-ji, Heian Jingu, and maybe Nijō Castle on the itinerary... Any suggestions? Thanks once again!

Reply to: Kansai 9D8N - Recommendations on Transit & Accommodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted