We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IC-card i Tokyo and JR pass

Level Contributor
7 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
IC-card i Tokyo and JR pass

Hi.

My friend and I are going to Japan the 3 of October. We are planning on spending the first 4-7 in Tokyo (we are staying in Japan for 16 days). I have heard that buying a IC-card is a good idea because it makes it easier to travel with the metro in Tokyo. However I can not figure out whether we will be able to by the IC-card in Tokyo when we arrive or if we have to by it on the internet before we go to Japan??

Also I can not decide if i should by a JR pass. We are planning on going from Tokyo to Kyoto , from Kyoto to Osaka and from Osaka back to Tokyo. Do you think I could save money if I buy a JR pass?

If my English is not perfect please bear with me.

- Louise, Denmark

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IC-card i Tokyo and JR pass

An IC card can be bought at any train station from a vending machine using English option.

If you travel Tokyo--Kyoto--Osaka--Tokyo within 7 days, the 7 day JR Pass comes about even. If you add a trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima or similar, you could say a lot. Please post day to day itinerary so we can provide more accurate assessment.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,103 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: IC-card i Tokyo and JR pass

JR and private railway companies have already issued more than 70 million cards and Japanese ppl own most of them.

I guess one can buy them in Japan

You should buy 14day JR Pass and make a day trip to Nikko from Tokyo and another day trip to Hiroshima \ Miyajima, then 14day JR Pass pays off

Mentioned in this post
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,103 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,465 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IC-card i Tokyo and JR pass

With the IC card, you can also use it on most local public transport in Kyoto and Osaka so it's definitely recommended.

If you are just visiting Kyoto and will be returning within 7 days, the Japanican e-voucher works out to be cheaper. You will have to invest maybe 30 minutes or your time to get the voucher exchanged into proper tickets at JR Tokai Tour offices at Tokyo or Shinagawa station:

japanican.com.hk/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

If you have enough time though for some meaningful day or overnight trips (Nikko, Hiroshima, etc), then the 7-day JR Pass is the one to get.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokai
Tokai
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Shinagawa
Shinagawa
Tokyo, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
4. Re: IC-card i Tokyo and JR pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2016, 13:17