We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1,170 reviews
712 helpful votes
Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

Cebu Pacific must be one of the least punctual airlines in the World, regularly showing punctuality rates of 50 - 70%.

Over the 2014 Christmas period a significant number of flights were either delayed or cancelled, leaving countless travelers stranded. As a result of this regulators fined them just over 52 million pesos.

October 2015 , comes and again numerous flights are delayed, my flight on October 3rd from MNL to Davao was delayed by over 4 hours! Customer service is terrible with conflicting announcements given.

This is advise for anyone relying on Cebu Pacific flights to Manila for international connections, add at least an extra 4 - 5 hours onto your itinerary, just in case your flight is delayed. I would much rather have an extra few hours in Manila, than miss an international flight.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,620 posts
254 reviews
542 helpful votes
1. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

<<<This is advise for anyone relying on Cebu Pacific flights to Manila for international connections, add at least an extra 4 - 5 hours onto your itinerary, just in case your flight is delayed.>>>

-Just like many of the regulars here in the Philippines forum, I advocate that you should be in Manila at least a day before your international flight. Cebu Pacific could be very ready to take you home but what if the weather is not cooperating. I suggest to get a travel insurance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
28,168 posts
2,460 reviews
3,339 helpful votes
2. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

Kegs advice is spot on.

If you have a domestic to international connection on the same day then do so at your own risk as ALL airlines can have delays I always plan to be in Manila the day before my international flight. You will only have yourself to blame for missing your international connection.

I have done numerous flights with CP with not very many delays. I would be happy to use them again.

Tommo

Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
37 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

Manila is one of the most overtaxed major airports in the world with no transfer infrastructure between terminals. Plus you have tropical weather to consider. So...delays should be expected. It doesn't matter if you fly on a local Philippine carrier or a fancy foreign "flagship" carrier. Late is late. Be ready for it.

Readers have been warned many times on these forums. If it turns out all your flights are on time, consider yourself fortunate.

This is why I recommend foreign passengers travel to/from the Philippines via Cebu if possible. If I have to go through Manila, I plan an extra day for it on each end!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,168 posts
2,460 reviews
3,339 helpful votes
4. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

Not to mention the traffic congestion which also causes delays which is not the fault of the airline.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
680 reviews
996 helpful votes
5. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

I continue to do same day connecting flights and if I base it on the replies here, I must be lucky. I do not tempt the gods too much so when I do a domestic flight connecting and check through on an international flight in the Philippines, I take PAL. If ever I don't make my connecting flight, they are responsible for me. I have seen countless times where PAL would meet the connecting passengers at the domestic arrival gate/tube and personally bring them over to the international side. The only times I got bumped off was a Bali to Manila to Cebu flight when the plane was inoperable at Bali and we got diverted to Singapore on Singapore Airlines and slowly accomodated on Singapore-Manila. Once I got a flight to Manila, PAL then accomodated me on the next flight from Manila to Cebu. On another occasion, I was able to go from Cebu to Manila, but got stuck in Manila as the flight to Singapore was cancelled due to the very heavy downpour that flooded Manila's streets and even the airport runway. I was accomodated on the next day's 1st flight (it helps that I am a frequent flyer of PAL and is given priority waitlist). BUT, I will not dare do a domestic connecting to an international flight even on PAL if it means taking a domestic flight late morning or afternoon when "normal" delays frequently occur.

If it means transferring from a domestic flight to an international flight on another airline, I have done it but providing at least 4 hours transit time, but again, I will only do so by taking the 5-7am ETD domestic flights.

If I take Cebu Pacific be it outbound or inbound, I always provide a bigger transit time. AND on occasion, I do not tempt the gods and stay overnight in Manila.

But that's just me. ( I fly PAL at least 50 one way flights each year for the past 5 years, and another 10-15 on other airlines, domestic and international).

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
157 reviews
307 helpful votes
6. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

I rarely use airlines but when I do, it has always been Cebu Pacific. None of my flights have been delayed and the last time l flew, I was asked to take an earlier flight from Caticlan to Manila. The take off was on time but the landing was delayed by 35 minutes due to congestion at NAIA but I was still home earlier than if l had taken my scheduled flight.

Delays do happen and it is part of the journey. I enjoy traveling and the journey is part of the trip whether it is by tricycle, pedicab, bus, taxi, ferry, aircraft or bangka.

If there is a delay, there is always something to do. I often travel alone and there are always people to talk to or books, magazines or newspapers to read. In Philippine terminals there is usually snacks, drinks and TV available.

If you don't like to do any of them, go for a walk.

It seems to me that people are too impatient and really there is little point in getting irritated over things that are beyond your control.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,620 posts
254 reviews
542 helpful votes
7. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

If you're on vacation I guess a 10-hour delay is not the end of the world for you but if it's a wedding or business contract signing then it's a different story so plan accordingly whether it's a domestic or international layover.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,168 posts
2,460 reviews
3,339 helpful votes
8. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

I guess an important point raised by Al22tecc is that if the flights are booked on the same ticket then you wont be out of pocket with flight delays causing you to miss your connecting flight as the airline is then responsible.I would be very comfortable with same day connections booked on the one ticket.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
680 reviews
996 helpful votes
9. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

Tommo,

I rarely book them on the same ticket because being a frequent flyer, my card already gives me extra 30 kgs, so I go for the cheapest domestic fare and no extra luggage allowance. Be that as it may, assuming I do not have the extra kilos benefit, I will still book it on separate flights/tickets (except for US flights) because:

1. For my return flight from international to Manila then a domestic flight to Cebu, I would provide a nice transit time buffer and book the last or 2nd to the last flight just in case my afternoon/early evening arriving international flight gets delayed.

2. Normally the last few flights are priced lower.

3. My luggage is already check through to Cebu, some international origins is unable to print my domestic boarding pass so I need to go to the domestic check in counter anyway. Assuming that the international flight is on time, and there is an earlier flight (either regular schedule or already delayed from its original ETD), and inquire if it has any available seats. There is NO PENALTY to take an earlier domestic flight with PAL. If available, I take the earlier flight, knocking off precious waiting time at terminal 2.

4. The NO PENALTY on taking an earlier domestic flight applies even if you were able to get the cheapest promo. Not so on international flights. Some booking class on PAL's international flight does not give you this NO PENALTY privilege. On higher booking classes-international, it is available (Have done this last September on an international flight outbound manila)

5. When you book the domestic and international tickets on separate bookings, it is doable but the check in counter personnel will just need extra time to process you as they integrate your domestic/international leg together. That just means an extra 5 minutes (10 minutes if you are more than 2 passengers in your group) extra wait at the check in counter.

6. This NO PENALTY does not apply to/from US as they will charge you a fee to interconnect the tickets.

7. These are all because it is the Manila-Cebu route, which has the most flights and gives me a lot of options. If it is to a destination with only 1 or 2 or so flights a day, I won't and provide the necessary buffer or transit time.

Edited: 15 October 2015, 11:11
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1,170 reviews
712 helpful votes
10. Re: Cebu Pacific expect flight delays and cancellations

I raised the initial post as a basic warning to those who were not used to traveling through Manila or who may be booking or planning future trips to consider the possibility of delays in Manila. (As I noticed yesterday on a separate post , a traveler was seeking advice on travel times from Boracay to Manila in order to catch an International flight.). A number of tourists try and stretch out that extra few hours on the beach thinking there is plenty of time for connections, not factoring possible delays.

Yes I have flown many times through Manila on the various domestic airlines and have on numerous occasions arrived on time, however on other occasions like last Saturday been extremely delayed, and delays were occurring on most Cebu Pacific flights into and out of Manila that day. I Usually using the saying Flying Philippine Time when discussing arrival and pick up times and take a good book.

All Philippine airlines are prone to cancellations and delays, I mentioned Cebu Pacific, because I had more first hand knowledge having been delayed last week but also due to recent articles regarding their punctuality and the regulatory fine imposed.

On the topic of through / connecting tickets, I have been ticketed through Manila on Philippine Airlines and the process is slightly complicated.compared to many other airports worldwide, as upon arrival you must collect your bags go through customs (get a transit sticker from customs then proceed to drop your bag for onward domestic travel. Yes I agree that Phil Air appear more flexible when it comes to changing flights due to arriving early or late.

Cebu Pacific however seemed to have a different approach, (very few other airlines are on compatible systems with Cebu Pacific and it is unusual to get booked through). Even if connecting from Cebu Pacific International to domestic, they have advised that they are a point to point airline and therefore are not responsible for missed connections due to delays etc, I have in the past flown BKK - MNL to transfer to the DVO flight (made on same booking) only to have delays meaning missed connection and been forced to buy a new domestic ticket, as they claimed not to be responsible for the onward portion.