We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How very sad

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
Save Topic
How very sad

A very dear friend of ours, only recently married, her husband was killed in a hit and run accident, and died on Christmas day.

We've just had an e mail this morning telling us the awful news.

It is believed an embassy car was involved in this terrible accident. We'll be in Singapore in March, but for all of us it's a warning that nowhere, not even paradise, which for us is Singapore, is 100% safe.

The lady works at the hotel we stay at every year, and a more beautiful person it would be difficult to imagine.

Our hearts and prayers go to the family, and especially our dear friend Yenny. Alan.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How very sad

Sorry to hear the sad & unfortunate news.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How very sad

Someone stole the car from the Romanian Embassy. It was a double hit-and-run, which the first hit was on 2 guys and 150m down the road it hit another person. Car was later abandoned in the industrial area of Sungei Kadut.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How very sad

Read about the news ... apparently it was a double hit-and-run accident. The car later ploughed into another victim about 100m down the road after first hitting Mr Tong. Apparently it was an employee from the Romanian Embassy who was driving the car at that time.

My condolences to the family of Mr Tong ...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How very sad

I might be wrong - the driver might not have been an employee. Kevin might have a more accurate version since I've only read one part of the news report.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How very sad

Sorry to hear that ddigs, very sad :(

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How very sad

It has been reported in the chinese press last nite that the driver was the person who reported the car stolen in the first place.

That person has left the country already, and despite being a diplomat, is now uncontactable.

www.mycarforum.com/index.php…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How very sad

ya embassy said different thing regarding the whereabout of the 'driver' (in this case, he is no different from murderer if he's the one behind wheel)

He needs to be punished by the law. Hit one is not enough. He has to hit 3 down. He has killed someone so innocent and still can look forward to have a happy family. What an idiot. (the press mentioned that the driver even wind down window to scold a passerby when he tried to prevent driver from driving away).

I hope that the lady can go through this bravely and carry on living. Pls pick yrself up.

Edited: 30 December 2009, 02:38
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How very sad

Thank you for the kind words, I will pass on your condolences which I'm sure will be very much appreciated. Alan.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How very sad

I am sure your friend's family will be comforted that there is new evidence surfacing regarding the case published in the press today. Let's hope the culprit be brought to justiice....

I am sure locals like myself too feel indignited about the case even though I am not related to the family, but my family feels the pain and anger over such unnecessary rash act, not once but double hit and run..

10. Re: How very sad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 12:17