We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English brand cigarettes

west yorks
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
English brand cigarettes

Can I buy English brand cigarettes in Singapore. If so, are they available in supermarkets etc. I am staying at Orchard Hotel and wondered if anywhere in the area sells them. If not then how many packs can I bring in from UK. (maybe 5 packs of 20). I know I will have to pay duty. ......

Many thanks in advance,,,,,,,,,,,Joannie

14 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English brand cigarettes

Hi,

Exactly what brands do you have in mind?

west yorks
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English brand cigarettes

Hi, Not too bothered, maybe Benson Hedges, Embassy Regal, Silk Cut. For my husband actually who hasn't

smoked 'real' cigarettes for some months but may have to again because of ecig ban............is this strictly enforced,,,,,,Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English brand cigarettes

Try nicotine patches? Actually going cold turkey is the most effective way to quit smoking.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English brand cigarettes

B&H is not for sale in Singapore, for sure. Can not tell you about the rest, i do not smoke.

#################

For cigarettes and all tobacco related products ( e-cigs and vapes are prohibited items) there is no DF allowance, it means you must go into the red channel if you have some in your posession, declare and pay duty on all of it at just about 39cents per gram. There is a specified limit of 400g that can be imported without a special import permit.

<<is this strictly enforced>>

Absolutely: e-cigs and vapes are not JUST controlled items bur in the prohibited list.

https://www.customs.gov.sg/

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English brand cigarettes

The brands you have mentioned are not typical of what you'd get here. Common are Marlboro, Dunhill, Pall Mall, Mild Seven, and Indonesian clove brands Sampoerna, Djarum, Gudang Garam. If you must stick with your favourite, just declare and pay the duty.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English brand cigarettes

<,Benson Hedges, Embassy Regal, Silk Cut>>

As for UK brands - Silk Cut isn't around, you could get them on the way out but you have to declare all of them (including any open ones) and pay duty. I think I have seen B&H, Marlboro too. I don't remember ever having seen Embassy - but then I am not a smoker so I haven't looked particularly I'm afraid.

This is a couple of years old Straits Times article that has an image of a cigarette vendor and what looks a fairly typical range - see if there is any packaging you recognise there

straitstimes.com/singapore/cigarette-sellers…

<<smoked 'real' cigarettes for some months but may have to again because of ecig ban............is this strictly enforced>>

Ah OK, now I get where you are coming from. The ban is strict. They will certainly confiscate if found and if they feel its been deliberately smuggled in, well its thousands of dollars for the fine from memory. Just don't, is the simple answer.

There is no need to relapse to actual cigarettes for nicotine replacement - there are medical device/medical use exclusions for a number of nicotine replacement systems from gums, through sprays and lozenges to patches. Its the vapes and the cloud with its subsequent risk factors they are proven to produce that other methods don't that are the reason they are banned.

Also with replacements you are not having to go find a smoking area (similar restrictions to the UK with the addition of some communal outdoor spaces like pus stops and underpasses).

Edited: 27 February 2017, 19:36
west yorks
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English brand cigarettes

thanks everyone for your replies..........really helpful...........Joannie

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English brand cigarettes

You are most welcome!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English brand cigarettes

B & H were on sale in Singapore when we were there recently. Saw them in Cheers, which is a chain of convenience stores like seven/eleven.

Newcastle OZ
Level Contributor
132 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: English brand cigarettes

I thought chewing gum was illegal in singapore so maybe check if you can chew nicotine chewing gum in public

Reply to: English brand cigarettes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted