We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English brand cigarettes

west yorks
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
English brand cigarettes

Can I buy English brand cigarettes in Singapore. If so, are they available in supermarkets etc. I am staying at Orchard Hotel and wondered if anywhere in the area sells them. If not then how many packs can I bring in from UK. (maybe 5 packs of 20). I know I will have to pay duty. ......

Many thanks in advance,,,,,,,,,,,Joannie

20 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: English brand cigarettes

The internet persists in screaming that chewing gum is illegal in Singapore still in sloppily researched news articles. However, what was a complete chewing gum import and sale ban was relaxed years ago. Gums with a notional health benefit are now permitted. This primarily permitted the sale of sugar free gums with dental health benefits but also includes nicotine replacement gums for smoking cessation.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: English brand cigarettes

It seems such a shame that as your hubby has not smoked "real" cigarettes for a good while, he intends to go back to them. Might be better trying cold turkey instead or one of the many replacements that are now readily available on the market.

He may be able to get B&H and other familiar brands but from memory they are not the quality of the same English brands and a lot stronger.

I have definitely seen chewing gum on sale in the shops in Singapore....!

Edited: 01 March 2017, 17:39
west yorks
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: English brand cigarettes

now back home but thanks

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: English brand cigarettes

Did you find any relevant brands - its useful to know if someone else asks - or did your husband manage to go for the alternative nicotine delivery options?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: English brand cigarettes

This is interesting. I'm planning my trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand for next year and just doing my research in advance.

Just to clarify, are you saying I won't be able to purchase cigarettes from London and bring them into Singapore unless I declare and pay duty???

Is this the same with alcohol??

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: English brand cigarettes

Correct, Singapore has a zero personal allowance on cigarettes and other legal tobacco products so you have to declare everything you take into the country..including any ones you may have bought previously in Singapore and might take back in. As such, buy them in the UK duty paid at regular retail or duty free at the airport on the way out and you will have to cough up to take them in. You might as well buy there unless you are wedded to a specific and unavailable brand.

Alcohol has duty free limits similar to most European countries, about a litre per person of wine and spirits, except if you are coming in from Malaysia when you have again a zero personal allowance. The Singapore Customs website has a travellers guide with the precise limits in.

Edited: 30 June 2017, 05:56
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: English brand cigarettes

Thank you for the info. I've just been reading this on the Singapore Customs site.

So does anyone know what the duty on 200 cigarettes is? I do smoke a particular English brand.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: English brand cigarettes

Assuming standard cigarettes its a one gram per cigarette at 38.8 cents per cigarette, some super kings go overvthr one gram and are between one and two grams of tobacco, doubling the duty.

Assuming standards...thats 77.8 dollars, or around 45quid duty for 200

Edited: 30 June 2017, 07:28
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: English brand cigarettes

WOW!!! Talk about milking it!!!

Thank you so much for your help.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: English brand cigarettes

Milking it? Its a lower duty rate than the UK where tobacco duty is a minimum of 53quid for 200 at the moment, so hardly milking it.

Its there to try and discourage people importing them - part the drive to lower smoking but also while doing that the zero limit aims to limit huge quantities of cheap stuff from flooding in from Malaysia - a huge issue in the past and regular catches still of people doing that which would sidestep the policy if personal imports were allowed.

Reply to: English brand cigarettes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted