We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Hi,

We are traveling to Singapore on 24th March on an overnight flight. Family of 6- 2 kids aged 9 and 2.5 years, parents aged 71 and 62 and us. Have made a rough itinerary. Would greatly appreciate any comments and advice to improve it. We are staying at Hotel Royal@Queens.

25th: landing in the morning by 7am. Rest in the morning. Late afternoon GBTB, 2 domes, Light show, Singapore Flyer & dinner (Gluttons by the Bay?)

26th: Singapore Zoo

River Safari

Anything else here?

27th: USS

SEA

Trick eye museum

Dinner at Vivocity?

(We're not the rides kind of people. So hope to finish USS really fast. Mainly doing this for the 9 year old.We may do only one or two rides at the max. )

28th: Merlion park

Chinatown

Bugis

Mustafa (souvenir shopping)

29th: Flight to Bali

How does this look? Can I add the science Centre on the last day? Could you suggest some good food centers for dinner based on this itinerary?

Will be grateful for any advice.

35 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

For the day of arrival, be very very careful of the 'rest' option. Falling asleep runs a risk jetlag setting in and that could wreck the rest of such a short stay. Relaxation is fine, sleep is a real problem as if you do that for the morning you will be 6 hours out of sync....believe me that 6 hours of being physically worn out is far better than 4 days of stupor from jetlag. The sort of things you have listed are fine for the day of arrival - minimal concentration required, plenty of places to sit down etc. I would start earlier - late afternoon depending upon exactly when you mean (for me that is 4-5pm) would leave enough time to see the Gardens. Better to keep moving and see them and then have to crash out early evening....especially since you need to be functional for the next day

The 26th is a long day - the River Safari and doing everything took me 4 hours, I do the zoo from 9-4 despite having been many times and that doesn't involve more than one or two feeding talks and normally no shows which as a first time visitor you may wish to do. This is a 10hour day to see fully - at least. I certainly would not be adding anything to this day other than dinner. Its a heavy day after the day of arrival and I would possibly suggest swapping this day with another lighter day just to get settled in Singapore before a big hard day - and this one is the heaviest that you have planned.

27th seems a major waste of money for just one or two rides unless they are icons to you. There are options outside of USS for rides to satisfy the thrill seeker - the Luge, and the Zipwire are just two that could be a replacement if you are not going to do USS justice. Or you could split the group if one person is interested and the 9 year old and someone go to USS and others do something else, then meet for the rest like SEA.

For the Science Centre it is a good half day - from opening time to about 1pm as a basic figure - more depends upon if you use the water play area for kids, or if any temporary exhibitions are of interest, or if you plan to expand to the IMAX cinema or similar - and of course the flight time. There are no lockers at the Science Centre from memory so you have to think bags as well.

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Thanks for your prompt response myrm ... Will keep in mind as you said about not sleeping as soon as we reach the hotel... We have asked for early check in... But not sure if we will be able to... So in case we can't, then can you suggest something in the area to while away the time to check in? I realize that the second day is hectic... So you recommend that we switch it with 28th? By asking about adding science Centre to our last day, I meant the 28th...since we leave for bali early morning on the 29th...Sorry i was not clear on that ...

Singapore
Level Contributor
768 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Zoo and RS will be enough for one day.

Also, yes, it would be a pity to pay for 6 admission tickets to USS (over $300) only to stay a short while and take 2 rides. I would also suggest splitting up the group or scrapping this altogether.

i would do merlion park together with the other Marina Bay attractions.

Science Centre is in Jurong, about 20 minutes by cab. you could go in the morning of the 28th, have lunch in one of the many malls in the area, then go to Chinatown and Bugis. Mustafa is open 24 hours so you can stay up late.

Singapore
Level Contributor
782 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

I suspect you will be too tired after GBTB on the first day. I would not recommend taking the Singapore Flyer as the slow 30 min rides will most likely put you into a deeper level of sleepiness.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Don't worry about check in time.

We leave our luggage at the hotel, and come back late evening. Just let the hotel know when you plan to return.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Initially I also thought of suggesting Merlion Park on the first day before GBtB. However, it looks like OP does not really have time for that if they want to tour GBTB and catch the light show. It would be evening time already and Merlion Park is nicer in my opinion for photo taking in the day. Viewing Singapore by evening or night on the Singapore Flyer is a spectacular experience. You can decide based on how you feel on the first day.

7. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2017, 04:23

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Thanks gumbokins... Yeah I'll reconsider USS... Have to do some more research on that....will try to do merlion Park on the first day.. Maybe we'll start a little earlier depending on our energy levels..

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Thanks for your input Raymond.. But coming back another day for the flyer may be a problem, don't you think? I guess we'll just have to be flexible and decide based on the situation then... Is there some place we can have dinner near the flyer, at a walkable distance probably?

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit

Thanks HeatSeeker... I'm worried since we're coming on an overnight flight with my parents and 2 kids including a toddler, everyone might want to freshen up and relax before starting a trip into the city... I saw that there is an art museum across the street from the hotel... Is it worth seeing?

Reply to: Itinerary advice 4D first time visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted