We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
346 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

Hi all,

We will take Singapore airline to Lombok via Singapore.

We first take SQ857, depart from Hong Kong 9:05am, arrive to Singapore 13:00pm same day, then transit from Terminal 3 (Singapore airline) to Terminal 2 (Silk air), is there still have skytrain from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2?

Singapore airline office staff told me that we need not to do immigration process, just go to transit area. Is it true?

How much time do I need to take? We need to catch up same day Silk Air SQ5220, depart from Singapore 15:45pm to Lombok? Transit time is 2:45hrs.

Thanks,

Cathy

Edited: 18 March 2017, 00:42
40 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

If you book the whole trip under one PNR then your connection is protected by the airline - if you can't make it, they are responsible to get you on the next available flight so they won't sell you an impossible connection. You have plenty of time as Changi Airport is very efficient. With 1 PNR, you will remain in the transit area. What makes you doubt the staff of the airline you are booking with?

Edited: 18 March 2017, 00:51
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

On a single ticket, and thus airside only, transfer where your bags will be checked through you have plenty of time. Plus it is protected in case of delays, meaning if the inbound flight is late then you will be put on the next flight with space.

As a quick look at the Changi airport website will tell you, the skytrain is still there.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
346 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

I did not doubt the airline staff in Hong Kong office because she was new (join the airline) and need to hold my line to ask superiors the questions. She may not know how is the transit process.

Thus, I need to ask here.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
346 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

Thanks myrm. I will take a look to the website.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

50minutes is enough time to make this connection. Have a look at the Changi Airport website to see how to fill your free 2 hours.

Edited: 18 March 2017, 02:01
manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

Hi Cathy, SilkAir is a full subsidiary of Singapore Airlines (like Cathay Dragon is to Cathay Pacific). Even if you are not in a single PNR (which I assume you are), there are means by which your luggage can be checked through without needing to exit immigration. 2H45M is more than enough time to transit. Please note that SQ857 may dock in either T2 or T3, so do pay attention to the announcements upon descent. In any case, Changi is a very efficient airport to transit in and you should have a lot of time on your hands for a leisurely transfer.

Happy travels!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,499 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

cathytsang, hi

With single PNR booking the airline staff advised you absolutely correctly: you do not need to go through immigration in SIN, just proceed to the departure gate staying airside. Your luggage will be tagged all the way through to LOP, all you need to do in Singapore during your stopover is to check the electronic tableau. The transfer time is absolutely sufficient, you have nothing to worry at all.

Safe travels.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
346 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

Thanks all, I should have a look at Changi Airport website.

For the return, I have 6 hrs Transit time.

It should be too boring.

Hi Schonefeld,

How are you recently?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,499 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

cathytsang, thank you. I'm fine. I hope you are very well too.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
190 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport

Hi cathytsang. You will definitely have enough time to travel from one terminal to another terminal in Singapore Changi Airport. We do still have skytrain which runs through all the current 3 terminals and our skytrain travelling time from one terminal to another terminal is less than 10 minutes.

If you have connecting flights under Singapore Airlines (SilkAir is full-pledged subsidiary of Singapore Airlines), you need not worry about your flight. Changi Airport should have staff at your arriving terminal to bring you to the next terminal if they think that your connecting flight is too rush.

Simultaneously, you can ask the Singapore Airline staff at Hong Kong airport to tag your luggage ALL THE WAY to Lombok under SilkAir. Kindly do give the Singapore Airline staff your SilkAir flight number for them to tag your luggage all the way to your FINAL destination (Lombok).

Yes, there is a transit area in Changi airport and you need not have to do the immigration process all over again.

In addition, your flight time from Hong Kong to Singapore is 4 hours (0905hrs to 1300hrs). I have been travelling Singapore-Hong Kong and vice-versa. The flight time should be between 3 hours 20 minutes to 3 hours 30 minutes at the generally normal speed of the plane.

I hope this will clarify your doubts.

Reply to: Enough time to transit in Singapore Changi Aiport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted