We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about Singapore?/

canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking about Singapore?/

We are looking for another destination in that part of the world....been to Thailand and Vietnam but don't know too much about Singapore? Here is what I am thinking..Fly to Singapore and stay for a couple of days (looking at the Westin, W, Sheraton or St. Regis) Now - how is the weather in February - this is our winter vacation from Canada so we want heat. Which of these hotels have the nicest pools to relax and our in a good area to get out of the hotel restaurant pricing and hit the street. I am curious how much things are here including food and say a bottle of beer?

From here we were thinking of flying out to Kuala Lumpur or Bali or something to that effect? It seems close enough for transit time and allows us to visit another area for several days then fly back to Singapore possibly before leaving for home.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated - as I said not very familiar with this area and would we be happy with that kind of trip? I have a lot of options and thoughts but just don't know what to do - also thinking about the Westin Langkawi or Sheraton Sengiggi in Lombok?? Great value for this hotel. Help.

23 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Singapore is generally warm and humid by virtue of being near the Equator. Feb is one of the drier months. Good time to visit.

Singapore is a veritable food paradise especially the humble hawker centres and food courts. Beer is more expensive because of the alcohol taxes. Price depends on where you drink it.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Well a couple of days won't let you see much of Singapore at all. You'll be able to taste an attraction or two and a bit of a wander perhaps. You need considerably more time to actually see Singapore to any degree.

Singapore is one degree north of the equator - the temperature is a relatively constant low 30s, with humidity of 95%+ and very high sun incidence making it feel even hotter. That's true year round.

Food outside of hotels is cheap, plentiful and of high average quality in food courts and hawker centres. To the extent I will travel room only and grab breakfast outside the hotel for a fraction of the price (5-10SGD to stuff me, over the 30+ of a hotel - more for the high end places you are selecting). You can go upwards from to high end dining if you wish. Alcohol is fairly pricey with bars, clubs, hotels and restaurants being pretty pricey (western capital city pricey). Hawker centres are tolerable, and locally brewed stuff is cheapest (and Tiger is pretty good for a mass-lager beer).

Those hotels you list are all highish end, major brand hotels - not necessarily my choices even for their budgets. You know what you are getting with them though. I tend to prefer the City Hall/Marina area. The W is on Sentosa and remote on that island so too far away for me - but the bigger resort type. Westin is too far from the city core for my taste, Fourpoints Sheraton is on the River and OK, Sheraton Towers and St Regis are at the top of Orchard so fairly central - not my personal first choice but not bad and the best located of that set. What is your budget for the hotel per ngiht and we can probably name ones - and what facilities do you want from it - bearing in mind that as a city state getting out and about is important to see Singapore.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Of those hotels I would probably go with the Westin, as its central, close to a large Food centre and Satay and the MRT for getting about. Also some popular city centre sights within walking distance.

W is more of a Resort hotel in a Resort Island ( though connected to to the mainland by road). Hence it has the best pool area, but it's a same to come to Singapore and waste time by the pool when your off to Bali or some other beach destination.

St Regis is technically the highest end of these hotels but I am not fond of the walk to the MRT from there. Four Points is not a patch on the others and the worst location.

Yes Singapore is the best connect place in the region and you will have multiple transit options to just about everywhere in South East Asia and beyond.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

I think you're are selling both yourselves and Singapore a little short. Long gone are the days when Singapore was a ''stopover'', a place to rest for a couple of days between intercontinal flights.

Singapore is VERY much a destination in it's own right, and what a destination. It's a fantastic place to stay.

All year round fabulous weather, there is so much to do and see in Singapore, (see link) so much food to enjoy and historical culture oozing from every street corner.

With the right researching, Singapore can keep one occupied for weeks and certainly a ''couple of days'' does it and you, no justice what-so-ever.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g2…

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g2…

canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Thanks very much for the responses........a little history - We are diehard SPG loyalists so we have Platinum status which gives us free breakfasts and some other little perks. There is no doubt that I believe Singapore has much too offer but our winter vacation is something where we like visiting a major city but really like just relaxing by the pool, beach etc., - This is truly our down time. For example we just got back from Vietnam and landed in HCMC for a couple days and seen a few things; experience the city then flew out to Nha Trang for 8 days and relaxed then flew back to HCMC for a couple of days. We feel we kind of get to see both the city life in the country and beach life.

These are higher end hotels and I am not made out of money and do like saving if I can. When we travel we like nice hotels to sleep in and then love to get out in the streets and find the small patios somewhere away from the tourist area and enjoy a few cold beer etc., and try some food. I am not interested in spending $150 - $200 for dinner every night whatsoever. I know this won't be cheap like Vietnam where beer is a $1.00 and food is super cheap.....but I also am not interested in spending $8-$10 a beer and $50 for lunch at every turn...I'm just trying to think of options out there. I am honestly not so sure how fond we will be of Bali; The Westin Langkawi sounds like the beach is brutal and is in the wrong area of the island; as for the Sengiggi it sounds like it is what we are looking for with restaurants a plenty nearby but the hotel sounds a little older.

We have looked at Mauritius but it sounds very expensive for food & beer and is very far away for us - have you got the hint yet we like our beer!! LOL.

Been to Thailand and loved it but want to try something different.

My options seem to be dwindling in that part of the world as to what I am looking for.

So the W Singapore sounds like it is too far out of the way; By what I am reading it sounds like the Westin or the Sheraton are the ones that might be in the best locations?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Then W Singapore is not really for you. It is located in a more private and exclusive area of Sentosa where the super rich live.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Now you can link SPG with Marriott Rewards and Ritz Rewards (you have to link your accounts first) so you should have a wider choice of hotels.

Edited: 19 March 2017, 08:18
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Totally wrong time of the year for Bali: it is the wet season and the beaches can be a little, umm, murky. Eating out if you drink alcohol is expensive here if you want a nice ambience. Eating out with a cold beer at a hawker is cheaper but you miss out on comfort and ambience. Wrong time of year for the east coast of peninsula Malaysia. Have a look at Sarawak and see what you think; although I don't rate the beaches, the towns are fun and cheap. Another possibility is the beach on Cambodia, but it is a bit of an adventure getting there.

canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

Thank You!! Good to know. Thanks again.........I guess I need to get back to the drawing board. Ugh!! I might have to give in and go back to Thailand maybe - Haven't been to Northern Thailand so maybe look at Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai as they have a couple of decent Le Meridien Hotels that have caught my eye for awhile. I was also thinking of Cambodia - There is a Le Meridien near Angkor Wat but the hotel has no balconies if we were to stay there for an extended period - need a balcony for that amount of time. I don't mind being in a city for a few days without a balcony but not for a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for that update - I know nobody can predict the weather but wouldn't want to have rain every day or even for half of it each day.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking about Singapore?/

As regards the weather forecasts in Singapore, forget it. It seldom ever does what they forecast. Most days it's rains for 20-40 mins in a sometimes very sharp downpour, with huge thunder claps, and that's it for the day.

One would be very unlucky to be in Singapore for a sustained period of hours of rain at a time.

You appear, I say with respect, to have a negative attitude towards Singapore, which is nothing like the Singapore I've known and loved for more than fifty years.

For sure there's more to do and see than anyone good comfortably do in 10-20 days, so a few days in Singapore isn't nearly enough. Singapore is one of the world's best destinations on so many levels, imvho.

Just my respectful opinion, as ever.

Reply to: Thinking about Singapore?/
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted