We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty on cigarettes

2 posts
Save Topic
Duty on cigarettes

I am flying back to Australia via Singapore from Mauritius. I have a 12 hour stopover in Singapore and I plan to leave the airport for a city tour. I only have carry on baggage ( no checked in ).

Does this mean I will have to declare and pay duty on my cigarettes in Singapore?

they will not be opened as I am taking them back to Australia for my wife.

8 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,399 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty on cigarettes

Leave your luggage in the left luggage lockers in the transit area.

changiairport.com/en/…baggage-storage.html

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty on cigarettes

If you take them ''into'' Singapore, yes, you will have to pay duty on them. If however you store them airside, you won't, because airside is not deemed to be ''in Singapore'' per-sa.

I hope that helps.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,041 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty on cigarettes

Daniel R, hi

If you go through passport control in Singapore WITH your cigarettes ( opened or unopned) they are subject to duty. minxbaby offered you a workable solution : to leave them in the lockers aisisde and pick up on the way back.

NOTE: together with zero DF allowance on tobacco in Singapore , e-cigs and vapes are totally prohibited to bring/ import/ use etc - (dis)assembled and/ or in components.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty on cigarettes

<<Does this mean I will have to declare and pay duty on my cigarettes in Singapore>>

If you take them past immigration and Customs, yes you have declare all of them and pay duty. The fact they are unopened is irrelevant.

You would be best to leave them in the secure airside area in a bag at left luggage and then pick them up again when you come back through after visiting the city. Just make sure you leave enough time to do that.

Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty on cigarettes

And please do not try to 'sneak' them pass customs. Customs are strict and the fines are very very heavy (they fine by the sticks not by pack) and on top of the fine you have to pay duty and tax.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty on cigarettes

Hi, duty on 200 is 87 Singapore dollar

Sue

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty on cigarettes

thanks all for the replies. decided it was easier to just buy them duty free upon returning to sydney

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,041 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty on cigarettes

@Daniel R, you are most welcome. Glad to hear that you have the matter sorted.

Reply to: Duty on cigarettes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted