We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Dear All,

I am travelling to Singapore with my husband for 6nights from 5th august to 11th august.

I have prepared draft of my itinerary. Would request you to guide me:

Day 1: 5-Aug-2017 :

Land Singapore at 9:50 AM. Planning to reserve hotel 81 @ Dickson's in Little India on Dickson's road.

Please suggest if this is a good area to stay.

Also I would check-in to the hotel, relax for sometime and go out for Gardens by the Bay, Baysands sky Park and River cruise.

Day 2:

Whole day @ Universal Studios

Day 3: 7-Aug

Sentosa Island

Day 4:

Singapore Zoo & Bird Sanctuary.

Day 5: 9-August

Shopping, and cover if I have left something.

I am planning to take 2Night tour from Singapore to Port Klang and back to Singapore on 9-Aug which starts at 8PM.

Superstar Gemini is under consideration.

Will be back on 11-Aug by 12PM.

Will roam around Singapore little bit.

And board flight back to India which is at 8:30 PM.

Please suggest and correct my itinerary and help me with the following:

Q1: Hotel 81..is it a good option for stay?

Q2: i have heard cab is a good way to travel. For that I will need a local sim. how can I get that?

Q3: Is superstar Gemini a good option to consider a 2N cruise to Port Klang.

Q4: What weather will be there in August? Am I supposed to pack rain-coats etc as well?

Q5: Should i buy tourist place tickets online? I can see various deals on viator.com. Is that a good site?

Q6: someone has told me that in chinatown, you will get al tickets at very much discounted price. Is this true?

Q7: Best place to shop as I'm a shopaholic? ;)

Request you all to help me in finalizing my itinerary. Suggest me if I'm missing something important to cover up.

Thanks & Regards,

Reetika

36 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Day 4 you cannot do the zoo AND Jurong Bird Park on the same day. The zoo, with travel time is a good 6-7 hrs on it's own

Jurong Bird park with travel time a good 4-5 hrs

Hotel 81 is perfectly acceptable hotel and the weather in Aug, along with every other month will be Hot, Humid and occasional short, sharp downpours with thunder and lightening.

Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

hi ddiggs,

would really appreciate your reply on my other queries as well as it will be my first time to singapore.

please do tell me about cruise..is that a good option? i want to book it at the earliest.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

I've never done the cruise, but as your stay is relatively short, I would think there is more than enough of Singapore to do/see without going off somewhere else. imvho as ever.

See link for more information.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g2…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Q1: Hotel 81..is it a good option for stay?

It is a budget chain so you should be fine if you moderate your expectations. Pls read the reviews to have an idea of what to expect. The one at Dickson has mixed reviews. For other hotels in this price range and area, consider Tai Hoe and Santa Grand Little India.

Q2: i have heard cab is a good way to travel. For that I will need a local sim. how can I get that?

You can easily buy one at the airport. They will need your passport for registration.

Q3: Is superstar Gemini a good option to consider a 2N cruise to Port Klang.

A recent traveller said it was nice but was unhappy with the long wait to get off the ship and clear the customs. Get a higher category cabin for priority in embarkation and disembarkation. There may be long queues at the customs after disembarking.

Q4: What weather will be there in August? Am I supposed to pack rain-coats etc as well?

A foldable umbrella will do. You can do a simple search on the internet or even on this forum on weather for any destination you wish to visit in future because this type of question is one of the most frequently asked.

Q5: Should i buy tourist place tickets online? I can see various deals on viator.com. Is that a good site?

Viator tends to be more expensive. Buying open-dated tickets gives you more flexibility to change your plans.

Q6: someone has told me that in chinatown, you will get al tickets at very much discounted price. Is this true?

Yes, there are many travel agencies eg Sea Wheel within the same building. You can go shop around and compare. Cebu Air Travel is another agency mentioned. They are located at Lucky Plaza in Orchard. If you stay at a hotel that provides a loan of a Handy Phone, you get free data, local and overseas (selected destination) calls and offers for attraction tickets via the app inside. I believe one of the agencies is Cebu Air Travel. Not sure if it is always the same agency.

Q7: Best place to shop as I'm a shopaholic? ;)

Depends on what you want to buy and your budget. There are shopping malls everywhere in Singapore.

Edited: 18 May 2017, 14:16
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

9 August is National Day in Singapore so you should see a lot of sales.

Singapore
Level Contributor
589 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

For your tour in Singapore, you are barely touching the tip of what attractions Singapore has to offer. I'm not sure the rationale for your 2N cruise to Port Klang because I'm not exactly a cruise person. Typically for the short regional cruises, you basically get to see the sun and the sea. My feeling is that you might enjoy your singapore trip more if you were the spend the additional 2 nights here instead.

Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

@minxbaby: thank you for your prompt replies. it has solved many of my doubts.

@teebs2593 & minxbaby : could you please suggest what should be my itinerary in singapore if i skip the cruise part...as i haven't booked it yet. looking forward for great suggestion :)

P.S : i'm really very confused if i should take the cruise or not :( please help

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

hi Reetika, for Superstar Gemini reviews, you may want to see the below link and consider :

https:/…82164760

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

''P.S : i'm really very confused if i should take the cruise or not :( please help''

''Do less, see more'' is my moto. As I said earlier, your stay in Singapore is fairly short, with all the things you've doubtless seen in the link I posted above, compile an Itinerary that suits you and your husband that you'll both enjoy.

No one can do everything, even if you were in Singappore for a month, you couldn't get everything done. Many of us visit Singapore year after year and we still find things we haven't done or seen. It's a beautiful destination and you'll have a great time without a cruise. imvho as ever.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

If you've never done a cruise, it is a good opportunity to do one as the sea condition for this route is very smooth and the cost is also lower due to the shorter route.

Reply to: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted