We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Dear All,

I am travelling to Singapore with my husband for 6nights from 5th august to 11th august.

I have prepared draft of my itinerary. Would request you to guide me:

Day 1: 5-Aug-2017 :

Land Singapore at 9:50 AM. Planning to reserve hotel 81 @ Dickson's in Little India on Dickson's road.

Please suggest if this is a good area to stay.

Also I would check-in to the hotel, relax for sometime and go out for Gardens by the Bay, Baysands sky Park and River cruise.

Day 2:

Whole day @ Universal Studios

Day 3: 7-Aug

Sentosa Island

Day 4:

Singapore Zoo & Bird Sanctuary.

Day 5: 9-August

Shopping, and cover if I have left something.

I am planning to take 2Night tour from Singapore to Port Klang and back to Singapore on 9-Aug which starts at 8PM.

Superstar Gemini is under consideration.

Will be back on 11-Aug by 12PM.

Will roam around Singapore little bit.

And board flight back to India which is at 8:30 PM.

Please suggest and correct my itinerary and help me with the following:

Q1: Hotel 81..is it a good option for stay?

Q2: i have heard cab is a good way to travel. For that I will need a local sim. how can I get that?

Q3: Is superstar Gemini a good option to consider a 2N cruise to Port Klang.

Q4: What weather will be there in August? Am I supposed to pack rain-coats etc as well?

Q5: Should i buy tourist place tickets online? I can see various deals on viator.com. Is that a good site?

Q6: someone has told me that in chinatown, you will get al tickets at very much discounted price. Is this true?

Q7: Best place to shop as I'm a shopaholic? ;)

Request you all to help me in finalizing my itinerary. Suggest me if I'm missing something important to cover up.

Thanks & Regards,

Reetika

36 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Hello,

thank you for your replies.

is it possible to cover following in a day?

SEA Aquarium, Trick Eye Museum, Dolphin Island and Sentose Merlion.

I am considering time spent in each location. Thinking if this would be covered in a day?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

- Hotel 81 Dickson is at the backpacker/pubbing section of Little India. The area around the nearby Little India Arcade mall, given its proximity to Tekka Centre/Buffalo Road/MRT station opposite, is also a tourist magnet. (There's also a notorious KL coach operator based there.) Accommodation is more basic, but the street life is as described.

- You'll be arriving on a Saturday morning (Aug 5), so take note that Little India is overflowing with thousands of male South Asian workers on their day off during the weekends. Their bus terminal is at Tekka Lane (behind Tekka hawker centre), & the five foot ways along Buffalo Road, Serangoon Road & Syed Alwi Road can be literally impassable to pedestrians (given the massive crowds). If so, do use alternative roads (Sungei Road, Kampong Kapor Road) to walk to, say, the Little India, Rochor & Farrer Park MRT stations. It'll also be inconvenient to dine at the cheaper eateries in the area during these periods.

- Aug 9 is our National Day, & there'll be a big parade that evening at the Marina Bay Floating Platform. It's a ticketed affair (30,000) but up to 150,000 are expected to turn up at non-ticketed areas around the Bay (MBS Event Plaza, Merlion Park, Esplanade Park, Esplanade Theatres, Singapore Flyer, Marina Promontory, Marina Barrage) to watch the aerial flypast, naval segment & fireworks displays. There should also be temporary LED screens televising the parade live. Do come early to find the best vantage point (many will arrive by the mid-afternoon even though the proceedings is from 6pm to 9:30pm) but it can take 1.5 hours for the spectators to disperse after the event.

- For shopping, there's Little India (Mustafa), Bugis/Waterloo Street (malls, shophouses, street vendors), Chinatown, Orchard (expensive), & Marina Centre (the underground CityLink Mall connects Raffles City to Suntec City, Marina Square, Millenia Walk, Link Mall):

…blogspot.com/-1z0WyX4PAgg/…cityhall.png

- Yes, you can easily cover SEA Aquarium, Trick Eye Museum, Dolphin Island (only) & Sentosa Merlion together. They'll fill only about half to 3/4 a day, with leftover time to add 1-3 more Sentosa attractions. But Dolphin Island is available only as an ticket upgrade to Adventure Cove Waterpark (which you'll also have to pay for). The Waterpark itself can take half a day.

Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Thank you blitzonic.

I will keep the points mentioned by you in my mind.

Also is going to KL by a 2N cruise for 5-6 hrs a good option? As I wanted to have cruise experience once.

But keeping in mind my tight schedule and a lot of things to cover, I'm getting confused if I should visit KL by an overnight bus or by flight.?

9th august, which is a National Holiday, will Singapore tourist attractions be opened for public? And will singapore be like other normal days? because in India, National Holidays means leave for everyone. Only basic shops are accessible.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

In Singapore, tourist attractions are always open during public holidays. The major (longer duration) shut downs where hawker stalls and some businesses are concerned would be Chinese New Year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

Sure, go for the sea cruise if you want the experience. It has enough onboard activities to keep you occupied without needing to go ashore; Port Klang itself is kinda an industrial port anyway. The taxi or train from there to KL is something like 90 minutes each way, but don't quote me. (Or do you plan to head to KL from Singapore? In which case, flight is currently the better option.)

Don't micromanage the embarking & disembarking times in your itinerary since, again, you'll have to contend with thousands of other cruise passengers with the same intention.

It's business as usual here on August 9, with many retailers (& restaurants) cashing in with promotional offers & such. But transport links in the City Hall/Marina Bay area can be somewhat problematic because of road closures (to free up areas for the parade contingents/performers), MRT overcrowding (spectators heading to the event) & pedestrian barriers (to manage the foot traffic). Oh yeah, 95% of the public will be wearing red to mark the occasion as well!

16. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2017, 11:57

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

It is quite expensive to get a taxi from Port Klang to KL as Port Klang is isolated so I would suggest you stay on the cruise ship unless you are dying to view The Petronas Towers. You may also need to apply for visa in Malaysia if you leave the ship.

Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

@minxbaby

I have dropped idea of cruise. And now will go and explore KL for a day from singapore

One thing i want to ask is will i need multiple entry visa or normal woll do? As i will be entering singapore again from KL and will stay in singapore for a day as well.

Thnks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

You will need a multiple entry visa. How are you planning to go to KL? Does that mean you will stay a night in KL?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)

If you go to KL you will effectively have 4 full days in Singapore, because going to KL is going to take two days, if you spend a night in KL or flying to/from KL in one day, begs the question, Why would a person do that?

If you think that's fine, go for it, but I would think 6 full days in Singapore is hardly enough, but you must do as you think is right.

You came on the forum for advice, and the advice I would offer anyone, is 6 full days in Singapore is the minimum amount of time I would think a person would need to see SOME of Singapore, for sure you won't see the vast majority of what there is to see/do in only six days. Just my opinion, as ever.

Enjoy whatever you decide. I've given my advice as fairly and as honestly as I can.

Reply to: Itinerary advice (5th august to 11th august)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted