We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Hi there

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I was hoping to take the train from Singapore to KL, but this sounds a little complicated and involves a number of separate journeys.

I could fly - my budget would allow for it. However, there's not much fun in that. I see that at least one bus company operates what looks like a reasonably upmarket service all the way into KL. Has anyone done this recently? Was it worth the extra time and trouble?

Any thoughts on the passing scenery etc very much appreciated.

Many thanks

14 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,394 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Philip M, hi

Absolutely similar dilemma is discussed on the form today, just few topis below yours;

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29426…

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

The train journey is definitely not fun with 3 trains to take. And there is nothing to see out of the window to make up.

Nothing to see out if the bus either but at least it's faster.

Flying is faster and has the best out if window views too. Win win.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

No passing scenery.. u will see a lot of oil palm trees , some toll kiosks , some petrol kiosks, rest stops for express buses or rest stops for normal cars , motobikes , commercial vehicles along the highway..

I do bus trips frequently for a lousy reason , i smoke a lot & buses stop often for toilet breaks or pump diesel ha ha.. i try to be considerate by spraying breath refreshner each time before i board the bus..

Suggest to jjust fly via the many available budget or full service carriers.. unless flying is always your last choice during your travels..

Land immigration queues are unpredictable even on weekdays non peak hours & could be a real nightmarish eye opener for your 1st outgoing coach trip from Singapore.. upmarket or low end coach travellers alike , have to dismount with all your luggages to queue at Malaysian Immigration & X-ray luggage inspection thereafter.. there is no first class lounge to bypass this..

Cheers

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Philip M,

You may want to take a coach : Aero Line

https://www.aeroline.com.sg/

This is a very comfortable coach with a wash room facility on boars.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Sorry, I somehow missed the previous thread. Fly it is, then.

Thanks.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,394 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

you are most welcome! Happy flying!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

I came across your thread in the George Town forum, which you mentioned about taking the train from Butterworth to Bangkok. IMO Singapore to KL by train is a piece of cake when compared to that.

Edited: 18 May 2017, 12:28
Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

lots of buses you don't need to book but a long time

if you want to break up the trip get a bus to Malacca if you are there on a Friday night or Saturday or Sunday then there is a night market on Jonkers Street that is worth looking at

Then just get a Bus to KL also you do not need to book just go to the bus station and you will get one

If you just want to get to KL book a flight on a budget airline Scoot, Tiger, Air Aisa

If you take the bus and want a very cheap bus ticket go to JB in Malaysia ( price is much cheaper than Singapore side) and stop at the Larken bus terminal and buy the ticket there. Its easy to get to Larken you can take Singapore public bus or Causeway link for a couple of dollars.

Or just buy a ticket to KL from Singapore

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Thanks, Craig. That's all very helpful.

Josh - your reply made me laugh! I am a reasonably intelligent and seasoned traveller who has undertaken many long rail journeys in different parts of the world, sometimes independently. I enjoy a challenge and travelling by public transport (and not normally for budgetary reasons). On the other hand, I recognise that there will be some occasions when the additional time and hassle simply isn't worth it!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Philip M ,

I think you are the type who will choose train transport in Thailand , Vietnam instead of flights?

I always choose coaches if they are available, just as a habit & just like to see the differences in coach quality , comfort & staff service.. not because of price..

I like travelling by ferries as well if they are available as an option , e.g. in Philippines..

Cheers

Reply to: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted