We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Hi there

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I was hoping to take the train from Singapore to KL, but this sounds a little complicated and involves a number of separate journeys.

I could fly - my budget would allow for it. However, there's not much fun in that. I see that at least one bus company operates what looks like a reasonably upmarket service all the way into KL. Has anyone done this recently? Was it worth the extra time and trouble?

Any thoughts on the passing scenery etc very much appreciated.

Many thanks

14 replies to this topic
Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Hi Ddayrncm

I enjoy mixing up the means of transport when I travel, although I have a particular fondness for trains (and ferries too). For me, the joy of travelling is often in the journey itself (although I find flying extremely boring).

I haven't been to the Philippines yet. And I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for coach travel on a regular basis (although I do sometimes travel by public bus when I am abroad). However, you are right on Thailand and Vietnam; I have already done most of the 'Reunification Express' (although one leg had to be done by an overnight sleeper bus that broke down in the middle of night!).

I've done BKK to Chiang Mai by sleeper train and travelled by sleeper trains - and/or done long-distance journeys during the day by train - in China, India, Russia, Japan, Egypt and much of western and eastern Europe. I can't imagine that I would encounter much in Singapore or Malaysia that I have not already experienced before, in one shape or form!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Philip M,

I do not even take trains in Malaysia.. the only longer distance train i took was the train from Narita Airport to Tokyo & the Shinkansen(Bullet Train) to Osaka.. that was still after a lot of prompting & persuasion from my colleague.. ha ha..

Seat61.com must be 1 of your favourite sites then..

I have a particular foodness towards long distance coaches .. In Cambodia , i tried to take coaches from different companies for each trip.. Back in February , my guesthouse staff in Ho Chi Minh city did their best to dissuade me from taking the Sleeper buses & i was quite dissapointed... there were a few accidents not too long ago & i gave up the idea of sleeper buses..

Ya i agree with you that the travel trip's mode of transport itself is already part of my vacation's wants & is important.. i will certainly not take a 3 or 4 hour private limousine trip even if i had the budget then.. the limousone will probably not stop at the same stop places for public transport(that will mean i have missed some local experience!!)..

For my next trip to the Philippines i intend to take a overnight Vehicle Ferry across the islands.. just to gauge the level of comfort & try something that Singapore or Malaysia doesn't have!!

Have not been to Europe yet so hope i can try the long distance coaches there in the near future just to have a comparison!! For a solo traveller like me , much more $$ have to be allocated & that will mean taking away a few of my shorter de-stressing trips to save up for a Europe trip.. 😂

Cheers to Vacation by Public Transport!! Enjoy!!

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Yes, amen to that, Ddayrncm!

You are clearly more of a coach enthusiast than I had expected! I rather enjoyed the sleeper bus in Vietnam. We all did. Despite breaking down, it was actually more comfortable and much more fun than the overnight trains. But that was probably because of its novelty.

The bullet trains in Japan were amazing, as were the trains in China, including the Maglev (top speed 431kph).

Yes, seat61.com has been a favourite website of mine for a while now, although it is sometimes out-of-date.

I hope you get to travel to/around Europe one day. There's obviously so much to see there and it is so very different from SE Asia. Meanwhile, enjoy your multi-modal trip to the Philippines!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?

Hi Philip,

You are certainly more well travelled than me.. l can only await retirement to have more time...😂

Seeing as train travel is not a main form of transport in Indonesia & Philippines , i guess you may soon be travelling towards the Americas , North , South & Central for your next train rides!!

For me , i am looking forward to taking a few rides on some classic older Greyhound buses in the USA..

I have also been planning an England trip to take the National Express Buses to watch a football game when my favourite team is playing Away..

Ha ha this are only on my wishlists & still in my dreams...

Well that's why a phrase like wishlist was created..

Enjoy your train trip from Malaysia to Thailand!!

Reply to: Singapore - Kuala Lumpur: fly or take the coach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted