We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Once Tourist Pass Expires......

New Haven...
Level Contributor
286 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Once Tourist Pass Expires......

I'm planing on purchasing two 3 Day Tourist Pass once we get into Singapore on a Friday Morning but not actually using the cards for the 1st time until probably Mid Day of that Friday. Once the card expires on that Monday, I plan to add value to cards to hold us over for the final two days of our trip. We will be leaving Singapore before Mid Day Wednesday Morning prior to the "5 Day Threshold" (At least I think) so that we can return the Tourist Cards to get our deposit back. With all that being said, here are my questions:

1. Upon the return of the tourist cards, will I get back the unused value of the card for the two days I used it as an EZ Link Card if there is any remaining value or will I only get back the $10 SGD deposit for each card?

2. If I use my card for the first time Mid-Day Friday, is my 5th day considered Wednesday or Tuesday? "...including within six days from the date it was first issued" is what the Singapore Tourist Pass website states so I think I'm good in that regard, but just want to make sure.

Thanks in Advance

Edited: 20 May 2017, 03:03
5 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Once Tourist Pass Expires......

The tourist cards are not meant for top ups or refund (other than the rental fee of $10) as they are designed to give tourists the convenience of unlimited rides without worrying about the stored value within the specified duration. The page below answers all your queries.

http://thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg/faq/

You may want to consider getting the standard Ezylink card which has a non-refundable card fee of $5 and $7 initial stored value (if purchased from the Transitlink office) or $5 initial stored value (if purchased from 7-11) and can be topped up (minimum $10, other top up amount in 10s using cash or credit/debit card) at the General Ticketing Machine. You can make back the $5 card cost if you take at least 8-9 trips as the fare is discounted using Ezylink card. One card per person as you have to tap in on entry and tap out on exit, no sharing of cards. For travel on MRT, you must maintain a minimum value of $3 before the start of a journey. Any remaining value will be refunded at the Transitlink office (pls check their operating hours on their website) located at the MRT station sans the card fee.

Edited: 20 May 2017, 05:41
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Once Tourist Pass Expires......

Yes, just get a $12 EZlink card. You probably won't need to top it up during your trip. Save it for your next visit, it's valid for 5 years.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Once Tourist Pass Expires......

If OP is here for 5 days, he will likely have to top up the Ezylink card. $4 (less the minimum $3 balance) is only good for 2-4 trips.

Edited: 20 May 2017, 07:55
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Once Tourist Pass Expires......

You can check the operating hours of Transitlink Offices here www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdetail.aspx…

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Once Tourist Pass Expires......

I agree with minxbaby and Mankster. With more than 3 days you are better off using a standard EZLink card and top-up as you go. For certain trips (to/from the airport, the wildlife parks and Sentosa) using a taxi is more convenient.

Reply to: Once Tourist Pass Expires......
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted