We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels feedback

South Pacific
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Hotels feedback

Hi all,

I have a refundable booking for Novotel Clarke Quay. I am also looking at Furama riverfront and Le Meridian Sentosa. I need three rooms so it is getting a bit expensive and these three seem to be reasonable. I have three elderly people with me and three children so I need to be in a fairly good hotel in an area where there is food/attractions nearby and a pool for the kids.

Thanks

Kaye

10 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels feedback

Are you looking to commute by taxi or by MRT?

South Pacific
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels feedback

Probably taxi but when its just my hubby and the kids we could take the mrt.

There are 8 of us so we were thinking of two taxi's. The elderly folks will be doing some different things to us though as they are late 60's and 70. We are going to universal for the day, we want to see the gardens, maybe the luge ride. We aren't interested in the zoo as we have seen quite a few recently and my kids are teens.

We will do some shopping. My husband wants to see changi prison and museum.

Are there any shows? I have tried searching but can't see anything. I haven't done a day by day itinerary yet as I'm still looking for things and I want to stay a bit flexible as we are there for 10 days.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,307 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels feedback

Kaye, hello

Check also Swiss MC, it has a family offer on the second​room with 50% discount.

Novotel has a similar offer too.

Furama is not a great option imho.

Edited: 11 August 2017, 20:26
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels feedback

What type of shows do you have in mind and when is your travel date?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels feedback

Le Meridien

Pros:

- For a Sentosa hotel, it is well located being outside the Imbiah Sentosa Express (monorail) station. RWS and USS are 1 stop away by monorail. If you want to commute by MRT, you can take the monorail to Vivocity and then walk to the basement to get to Harbourfront Station.

- They have Heritage Room, Heritage Suites that can accommodate 2A+2C and Executive Suites that can accommodate 3 Adults but I think they are also more expensive? Not sure if they allow you to add extra bed in the Classic Room.

Cons:

- Taxis trips starting from Resort World Sentosa has a S$3 surcharge.

- There is some construction going on near Le Meridien which may still be ongoing next Apr. The non-Heritage rooms face the construction site.

- The 3-storey heritage wing is a former British army barracks and is protected by its conservation status so there are limits with regards to how much the structure and corridors can be altered. Many conserved buildings have lack of soundproofing.

Furama Riverfront

Pros:

- Several bus stops nearby

- short (10-15mins) taxi ride to major tourist attractions

- Provides free loan of Handy phone that gives access to free local data and calls, tourist info, apps to purchase discounted attraction tickets and overseas calls to selected destinations.

- 12 mins walk to Jalan Kukoh Food Centre (limited stalls) https:/… Robertson Quay and Great World City mall

- 10-20 mins' walk to Chinatown and Clarke Quay (some may find this far).

- Nice pool.

Cons:

- Older property so a bit dated

- 20mins' walk from Clarke Quay MRT Station. Although they provide a free shuttle to the MRT Station, you are limited by the schedule of the shuttle.

Novotel

Pros:

- Located above Liang Court shopping centre which has a supermarket, cafes and a small food court.

- 7mins' walk to Clarke Quay Station

- Rooms have great views of Singapore River, Fort Canning Park, Singapore Skyline or Marina Bay Sands.

- Free loan of Handy phone

- Children are defined as under 16 years old

- Close to pubs and nightlife. The area looks pretty at night when the neon coloured lights come on.

- Large pool with cabanas. The deepest end is more than 3m just in case your children are not strong swimmers.

Cons:

- if you want 3A or 2A+1C in one room, you must opt for the larger Superior Room (32 sq m with a private balcony, pls confirm if they will provide complimentary rollaway bed as the website states it is chargeable) or higher; For 2A+2C with 2 rollaways, you have to opt for Executive Room (40 sq m, has a private balcony).

- Rooms facing Clarke Quay may be disturbed by noise from the pubs.

- Older property so fittings and furnishings are showing their age.

- Many reviews mentioned the windows are dirty.

- Balconies are locked unless you sign a waiver.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels feedback

Thanks for your help. Looks like we will stick with the novotel clarke quay. We will be there mid September. The kind of show we were thinking of - are there traditional shows like in Hawaii we went to a luau.

We may have to splurge for a third room. I rang accor and they aren't doing the second room half price for the dates we are there. I may ring back and ask because I can't find any dates on their website. I have had wrong advice from them before...

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels feedback

Does your travel date coincide with F1 (15-17)? That may be the reason.

Edited: 12 August 2017, 16:40
South Pacific
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels feedback

No, we get there the day after - Monday.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels feedback

Not sure how long you are staying.

https:/…Mid-Autumn-Fest-Open-Call.html

gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/whats-on/calendar-…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels feedback

If you do not plan to spend hours in the room, I'd recommend Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay. Compact but functional rooms, reasonable rates. Location is good with a 10 min walk to China Town MRT (subway), 10 mins to Clarke Quay riverside restaurants, rooftop pool and sun deck, 7-11 nearby for necessities, buffet breakfast included from 0600-1000, cafe in foyer, bar... lots of families and us older folks.

Reply to: Hotels feedback
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted