We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

Gandhidham
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

I am traveling USA via Singapore and my layover at Changi airport is 12.30 hrs.

Airline will provide me free accommodation during this period or not.

What is rule for getting free accommodation from Singapore Airlines.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

No they don't provide free accommodation. Only in the event of delays caused by situations under their control.

What you seem to be expecting to be common is not routine and for those airlines that do something like this there are a lot of conditions - the primary ones being that the layover is long, the airline's metal is used on both legs and normally only at their hub and that the layover could not be shorter.

Edited: 11 October 2017, 18:13
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,778 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

No. You have to pay for your own accommodation. If you want to know if there are special rules for free accommodation then I suggest you contact Singapore Airlines.

Gandhidham
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

Thanks , much appreciated.

Gandhidham
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

Thank you.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

If you haven't finalised the booking, consider taking up a Singapore Stopover Holiday Package (You may need a visa depending on your nationality).

Otherwise you can book several hours (minimum 6-hours) at the transit hotels airside.

changiairport.com/en/…transit-hotels.html

Edited: 12 October 2017, 17:48
Gandhidham
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

Hello,

Recently I tried to book ticket through Emirates Airways from Delhi to San Francisco with 14 hrs layover at Dubai airport but they are also not providing any free accommodation so please confirm before booking any ticket to avoid any inconvenience at airport.

Thanks to all for valuable contribution on this confusing matter.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

Airlines do not provide free accommodation as the airfare is only for transporting you from one city to another. I'm not sure where you get this idea from. It is not their problem if you choose a long layover. Some travellers purposely choose a long layover so that they can break up a long journey or to do some sightseeing in between. The airline may offer compensation if the journey is delayed for many hours due to the airline's fault.

The SSH package is only available through Singapore Airlines. I only suggested it as the hotels are cheaper than if you book directly.

Vaasa, Finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

I noticed when booking my flights from Finland to Bali that Qatar Airways are offering this service in Doha, Qatar but only with certain conditions.

https:/…transit-accommodation.html

So some have it but I guess it's very rare.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,358 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

YES, Qatar Air offers such service ( free hotel stay) if you book a connection flight with them and the shortest connection time in DOH for the itinerary is 6-8 hours. Not meaning you deliberately book the longest possible...LOL

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs

Some airlines do provide free layover hotels and meals for long waits between flights - I recently did this with Korean Airlines in Incheon. A great service. Check with the airline as only some do.

Reply to: Lay over at Changi Airport for more than 12 hrs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted