We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I had only Known

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
If I had only Known

I have been lurking on this forum for 6 mo. and truthfully had no idea about Singapore until my eyes were opened wide on this forum. Some background my wife and I are transiting for 2 nights in Singapore this February before a 7 night Cruise and we are travelling from Canada. This is for our 40th wedding anniversary celebration trip. We are both in our 60's and I am the explorer and my wife is not very especially when it comes to different food so the cruise was a perfect compromise.

But our eyes have been opened up to Singapore thru this forum and although we have not changed our plans to add more time we decided to simply return next year for a Singapore only trip. I really wanted to shout out to all the destination experts who are so patient with everyone and I have learned allot about Singapore from all of you and our ideas have has changed from a quick transit stop to something we are looking so forward to visiting. I'm not a rusher although I understand those that can do 6 sightseeing adventures in a day. Our Itinerary is very simple: Arrive in Changi around 2:30pm, after formalities head to money exchange and then the taxi stand for our ride to the Marriott Tang, should be there by 4pm at the latest. Pool time and naps until 6pm then head downstairs to the food stalls and quick walk around the area and then back to the executive lounge for drinks and head to bed by 9 - 10pm. Nice and easy to adjust to weather and time. On day 2 each of us has 1 choice and the wife picked the Singapore zoo for the morning then rest for the afternoon and I picked the Chinatown tour and dinner, trishaw ride followed by bumboat to see the night lights. Day 3 leisurely breakfast and head to the Marina Bay cruise port. When we get back to Singapore we have a 1/2 day city tour (I know we could do it on our own) followed by airport drop off. We could do way more but in reality I would like to return and do it right if anyone has a suggestion we would be pleased to entertain it. Again BIG thank you to our destination experts who attempt to make everyone's trips so enjoyable and informative and especially your patience when we ask the same question 10 times but a different way each time, please continue and I look forward to reading this forum every day. I will post a TR after our trip. Cheers from the Canuck's

Edited: 25 October 2017, 23:13
38 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I had only Known

hello Moduline

Thank you very much for the high attestation of our combined effort on Singapore forums. Indeed we all are doing our best to create a friendly and most informative environment to the visitors and forum members who are planing their visit to Singapore.

All that you mentioned is certainly doable and well planned ( i see you read us a LOT..lol) for the given time-frame. But with 2 :30 pm arrival i would do an effort to include Gardens by the Bay into the evening program and a drink on top of MBS.

Just my two ( Singapore) cents.

Edited: 25 October 2017, 23:29
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I had only Known

Hi Moduline, I'm glad you found the Singapore forum informative and helpful to planning your upcoming trip and that it has convinced you to plan for a longer second trip. Your itinerary seems fine. I wish you a wonderful time in Singapore.

Thanks for the thoughtful shout-out. It really makes my day. Cheers!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I had only Known

Schoenfeld thx, this is exactly the input I was looking forward to and yes I think your ideas will hit the spot very nicely. I was somewhat afraid that I was being way too lazy but wasn't sure what to add into arrival day without over doing it. We can easily adjust as required.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If I had only Known

mixnbaby - it's kind of funny we have travelled all over Europe, Mexico, etc. and I quickly learned the forums were invaluable if one was willing to listen and learn to really enrich our experience. Some forums were more interesting and informative than others but I simply found the Singapore forum so very civil and informative especially for a first timer to SE Asia. I hope I can learn the DE's patience :)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If I had only Known

Moduline, you are most welcome. any time.

Actually the plan of *MBS drinks+ gardens lights show* works wonderfully for me even with 4pm arrival. Still got time to enjoy myself and etc. With 2 pm ETA, you`ll do great, i`m sure.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If I had only Known

<< I hope I can learn the DE's patience :)>>

i can assure you: it is NOT easy....LOL

U.K
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If I had only Known

Hi All,

I would just like to second what Moduline has said this is a great forum and I for one have had some excellent advise along with some fantastic links to look through everything from maps to bus time tables.

I too wish I had read more before booking a quick pit stop on our way to Vietnam.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and advise Eve.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If I had only Known

@Eve1963. Thank you for the kind words towards the forum regular members and all the people in this environment. Its an avalanche of compliments today....So heart warming and so pleasing to read. We greatly appreciate it.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If I had only Known

Thanks Eve1963 and it was my pleasure to be of help.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If I had only Known

If I may make a few comments on the itinerary....you have structured it well for the aims you have in place, but I think there is one minor trouble point and one bigger point for consideration or acceptance.

On the day of arrival you say <<there by 4pm at the latest. Pool time and naps until 6pm then >>

I would avoid the naps....that has the potential to play havoc with time synchronisation and with such a short trip anything to avoid that. Pool time is fine, and relaxation but sleep that late in the afternoon, I would avoid, given your stated aim of time adjustment. Relax, wander in the evening and go to bed and sleep on local time.

<, On day 2 each of us has 1 choice and the wife picked the Singapore zoo for the morning >>

You are not going to see the Zoo in a morning. Well, not without sprinting around and ignoring chunks. If you look at the suggested itineraries on their website then a half day (from opening to lunchtime) sees about half of it. And those itineraries haven't really changed in scope for night on 30years and were written for local residents. Either accept the losses of half the zoo to meet the 'your choice, my choice' routine or possibly consider a different one of the WRS parks.

Reply to: If I had only Known
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted