We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I had only Known

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
If I had only Known

I have been lurking on this forum for 6 mo. and truthfully had no idea about Singapore until my eyes were opened wide on this forum. Some background my wife and I are transiting for 2 nights in Singapore this February before a 7 night Cruise and we are travelling from Canada. This is for our 40th wedding anniversary celebration trip. We are both in our 60's and I am the explorer and my wife is not very especially when it comes to different food so the cruise was a perfect compromise.

But our eyes have been opened up to Singapore thru this forum and although we have not changed our plans to add more time we decided to simply return next year for a Singapore only trip. I really wanted to shout out to all the destination experts who are so patient with everyone and I have learned allot about Singapore from all of you and our ideas have has changed from a quick transit stop to something we are looking so forward to visiting. I'm not a rusher although I understand those that can do 6 sightseeing adventures in a day. Our Itinerary is very simple: Arrive in Changi around 2:30pm, after formalities head to money exchange and then the taxi stand for our ride to the Marriott Tang, should be there by 4pm at the latest. Pool time and naps until 6pm then head downstairs to the food stalls and quick walk around the area and then back to the executive lounge for drinks and head to bed by 9 - 10pm. Nice and easy to adjust to weather and time. On day 2 each of us has 1 choice and the wife picked the Singapore zoo for the morning then rest for the afternoon and I picked the Chinatown tour and dinner, trishaw ride followed by bumboat to see the night lights. Day 3 leisurely breakfast and head to the Marina Bay cruise port. When we get back to Singapore we have a 1/2 day city tour (I know we could do it on our own) followed by airport drop off. We could do way more but in reality I would like to return and do it right if anyone has a suggestion we would be pleased to entertain it. Again BIG thank you to our destination experts who attempt to make everyone's trips so enjoyable and informative and especially your patience when we ask the same question 10 times but a different way each time, please continue and I look forward to reading this forum every day. I will post a TR after our trip. Cheers from the Canuck's

Edited: 25 October 2017, 23:13
38 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: If I had only Known

Hi Moduline, yes, the DE for Singapore are one of a kind, so giving of their time. We did a tour of the zoo a few years back and loved breakfast with the orangutans. We stayed on and took the taxi back to our hotel mid afternoon. Enjoy your introduction to Singapore and your more in depth return!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: If I had only Known

I've learnt through experience travelling around & posting many reviews............ when I'm researching I always disregard (sometimes won't even bother to read) all single figure reviewers, & most certainly take on board what triple figure reviewers claim. Cheers 🍻 enjoy Singapore, I'm coming back this Christmas for 3 days & mid January for another 4 days after touring Sri Lanka.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: If I had only Known

MandyB - this tour was the wife's choice but secretly I am getting really excited about seeing the zoo and of course the Orangutans, we have already decided to taxi back later in the afternoon but that's for advice and thumbs up on the tour. I'm sure we will enjoy our introduction to Singapore....Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: If I had only Known

RKHOOKER, Shoenfeld is going to hate me for bringing this up again but for some reason it really bothers me when I see constant self promotion of a person rather than a team of people especially in the hospitality industry. I am like you I read between the lines but it has gotten to the point that every review but a few are 1st time mobile app users and Have Sir Rolando mentioned, there are pages and pages and really detracts for those of us looking for REAL hotel information. TripAdvisor IMO is about the travel not the particular person and I have made many excellent choices using TA but in this case I'm going with my senses. Have an absolute blast on ur upcoming vacation...Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: If I had only Known

You could book the breakfast with the orangutans via the zoo website and take the taxi both ways. For memory, the taxi was about $16 one way from Orchard Rd & Scotts Rd intersection a couple of years ago! There was a bit of waiting around in the morning while patrons from different hotels were collected. We booked thru Viator.

Having done that, I would have no hesitation in booking via the zoo website and using taxis both ways. Do your sums and work out the cost.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: If I had only Known

@Moduline

Schonefeld loves you already...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: If I had only Known

@Schonefeld.........

Thank You

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: If I had only Known

Mandy B - Actually I have been looking at that, after we decided to take a taxi back after the zoo I was thinking why use the tour, if we book our self we are in total control. I'm pretty sure all the DE's on here are wondering the same thing as in why would you book a tour. It sometimes takes a kick start to get this old guys brain working in the right direction....Thank you.

Reply to: If I had only Known
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted