We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Hello I have been mooching on the forum for days now. It is such a useful resource.

We have a layover in Singapore on our way to Yogyakarta. We land at 18.10 and leave the following morning at 8.20

Am thinking we should probably stay at an airport hotel (looking at crown plaza)

But I am wondering whether it's worth leaving the airport to stay in the city just to get a taste of the delights that will await us on our return when we will have 4 nights in Singapore (considering the Pan Pacific or Park Royal on Pickering

It's a very short layover and we will have travelled 13 hours from UK does anyone have any thoughts on the benefits of remaining at airport as opposed to staying in the marina Bay Area and travelling back to airport the following morning?

Thanks in advance for any contributions

12 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Hello

With the timing given I would suggest to book a city hotel. You'll have the whole evening to enjoy...

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

I would book say 7 hours in the Transit hotel from say midnight to 7am. Get the MRT into town for taster and a meal before getting a taxi back to the airport and check into the Transit hotel.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Thank you both

I like the sound of the transit hotel so we are ready in the airport the following morning for the next flight

I think our luggage will be checked through the to Yogyakarta

Am I right in thinking we pass immigration and customs with the Yogyakarta boarding pass get taxi onto town and return about midnight showing the boarding pass and passports to get airside so we can check in at the transit hotel?

Thanks

Edited: 30 October 2017, 22:06
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

<<I think our luggage will be checked through the to Yogyakarta >>

That depends on the airline of travel and how you booked your tickets - single PNR or separate?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Hi

I am afraid I don't know what PNR. Means

We are travelling with SIA from LHR to Singapore then silk air to Yogyakarta

Budget carrier Java to Lombok (not booked yet)

Silk air Lombok to Singapore

SIA Singapore to LHR

The SIA And silk air flights were booked as one ticket on a multi city basis and are paid and confirmed bookings

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

...single PNR = single air ticket...

Flying with Singapore Arilines/Silkair your checked baggage will go through to Yogyakarta, also you will be given the boarding to Yogyakarta.

Assuming you are UK citizen you should be able to clear immigration and take a taxi to the city. You may consider spending the evening at Marina Bay.

Also you may want to collect complementary vouchers to spend at airport for beakfast for example: singaporeair.com/en_UK/…

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Yes, if you have lhr-sin-jog on a single PNR your luggage will be tagged all the way through to yogjakarta and during stopover in Singapore remain in the airport hold. Boarding pass will be on your hands and grant you entrance to the Changi airside that is located behind Immigration.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Thank you so much for your prompt responses, I can now book our transit hotel without worrying about getting back airside

Now onto checking out where to eat what to see in Marina Bay during a four hour period.

We don't travel until June 2018 and am already very excited and trawling the forum for ideas!

Singapore
Level Contributor
152 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

I suggest you stay in the airport hotel and then visit nearer towns like Tampines with a few good malls and stuff to do and its easily accessible by trains 20mins probably. Cheaper than City and also u can max out your time and return for some rest and ready for your flight .

Liverpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city

Hi we have now booked block in the transit hotel at the airport and we intend edto go into the city etc for dinner before returning to the hotel for 6 hours of sleep will do some research into Tampines though. Thanks for your response makes me reassured we have done the right thing

Edited: 10 November 2017, 03:38
Reply to: 14 hour layover-airport hotel or city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted