We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Topic
Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

Hi! I'm planning a 7 day trip to Singapore and Malaysia starting 27th Dec-3rd Jan'18. I am travelling with my wife for a vacation. We are in late 20's and have key interest in Singapore culture, nightlife and cuisine. I have listed few places that I would like to visit and planned my itinerary as below

Day1: Afternoon arrival - hotel check in- Hotel budget around 30-50 USD any recommendation would be helpful looking for a hotel location which has plenty of eating options since we would want to eat outside our hotel on most occasions- Post check in stroll around Chinatown till evening ( dine at hawkers center )and then push off for Singapore Zoo/Night Safari and enjoy creatures of the night show- we can consider doing this in the daytime as well if people recommend visiting the zoo during day time rather than night and combine Jurong Bird Park and may be donate a full day for the combined activity.

Day2: Visit Orchard Street and spend the afternoon shopping- recommendation required to plan our evening may be we can visit Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay ( diner at Quay Bay )

Day 3: Little India, Hop on Bus Tour and then head for Gardens by the Bay, Flower Dome etc.

Day 4 & 5: Universal Studios & Sentosa Island- Should we keep 2 days for this or just one day is good enough. We want to take a midnight train to KL

Day 6: KL tower, PETRONAS at night, Jalon Alor etc.

Day7: Genting Highlands or Langkawi - take a midnight train to Singapore- If Universal Studio & Sentosa is recommended to be kept a one day trip then we can have a 3 day itinerary for Malaysia.

Day 8 : Head back to India - have an afternoon flight

Anything else we should include? or anything I included that we should just give a miss? Your thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated. :)

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,495 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore Zoo
Singapore Zoo
19,247 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,228 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Jurong Bird Park
Jurong Bird Park
4,460 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore Flyer
Singapore Flyer
15,564 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Marina Bay
Marina Bay
11,126 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
Gardens by the Bay
47,614 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Flower Dome
Flower Dome
5,419 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Universal Studios Singapore
Universal Studios...
16,923 Reviews
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Genting Highlands
Genting Highlands
Pahang, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
33 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,494 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

Hello,

Singapore uses local currency Singapore dollars, not US$ so I looked on a currency converter website and see that your budget is about SGD$40-68 for a double bedded room per night. Not many hotels are within that price range. Sometimes you can get a cheap special on these below, but you may need to increase your budget, or look at staying in a hostel, not a hotel -

Hotel Snow Lavender

Hotel Conforto

Arianna Hotel

Hotel 165

I’ll try and think of a couple more also.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Hotel Conforto
Hotel Conforto
121 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Arianna Hotel
Arianna Hotel
221 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

The zoo and Night Safari are two seperate attraction in different locations ( though next two each other) zoo takes about 6-7 hours to complete and the Night Safari about 3 hours. The Bird park is a seperate location entirely and is a good half day.

There are no midnight/ overnight trains between Singapore and KL

I think you will need to manage your hotel expectations. Hotels, if any, at that price range will not be offering food and restaurants.

6 days is not enough for two countries, suggest you pick one.

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,228 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

Hotel 81 Dickson is around your budget if you use Make My Trip website. It is located in Little India with plenty of Indian dining options. Space is a premium in Singapore so the rooms are not very spacious at this price range. I would suggest to avoid Arianna as it has pretty poor reviews.

Travelling by train between Singapore and KL requires 3 changes and the connection is not seamless; there is a gap of a few hours between one of the connections with nothing to see or do at the train platform. The trains do not have sleeper cars so you won't be able to get much sleep. How will you be able to enjoy your trip when you're tired?

You are trying to cram too much within your trip and severely underestimating the time needed for breaks, meals, rest and travelling. You are on a holiday not Amazing Race. Do less and enjoy more. USS takes up most of the day. You can only do 1-2 attractions in the evening (only some are open after USS closes). Sentosa requires another day unless you intend to skip most of thr attractions.

The forums here are grouped by destinations so I will comment only very briefly on your Malaysia plans. There is nothing much to see in Genting Highland with the theme parks under renovations. Nobody does a daytrip to Langkawi as it requires taking a flight 'from KL and a day trip is just a waste of travelling time and airfare as you won't have much time to see anything.

Edited: 09 November 2017, 08:26
Mentioned in this post
Little India
Little India
3,520 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Arianna Hotel
Arianna Hotel
221 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Genting Hotel Jurong
Genting Hotel Jurong
392 Reviews
Jurong, Singapore
Langkawi
Langkawi
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

pacificvivek

Sorry to being a downer, but I don't think your plans are realistic.

- Your accommodation budget for Singapore is more suited to a hostel.

- You can do Chinatown & Night Safari (beware of jet lag) on Day 1, but there won't be enough time for the Zoo or Bird Park.

- You'll need a day each for USS & the rest of Sentosa (mainly sightseeing), & a 3rd day if you want to the adventure/water activities there.

- Day 5 is New Year's Eve (Sunday). It'll be a long weekend this year, so the land border crossings will experience heavy buildup from Friday afternoon to Monday night.

- Malaysia is currently upgrading its rail network. No through train service from JB Sentral to KL for a couple more years, & no high-speed rail (a new train line) to Singapore until next decade. For now, it's better to take a budget LCC flight or, if you don't mind the risk & fatigue, an overnight coach.

- I think your Malaysian itinerary is a bit unrealistic too. You haven't factored in hotel check-in & check-out times there. You can do a day trip to Genting Highlands from KL, but the travel time isn't as short as from Singapore downtown to Sentosa. (Both integrated resorts are owned by the same company, but RWG's new 20th Century Fox World amusement park seems like it won't be ready for at least another year.) Langkawi is an offshore island more than 400km away from KL (longer than from Singapore to KL).

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,495 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,228 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Genting Highlands
Genting Highlands
Pahang, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

1 day in Genting? To gamble ?

Theme park is under renovation .. waste of time...

Langkawi for 1 day?

Even if you fly , there is still check-in / Checkout of airport & hotel , waiting time & transit time for local transport ...

U don't click your fingers & appear immediately at another destination a few hundred kilometres away..

Suggest to skip Malaysia .. for this trip ...

Edited: 09 November 2017, 13:24
Mentioned in this post
Genting Hotel Jurong
Genting Hotel Jurong
392 Reviews
Jurong, Singapore
Langkawi
Langkawi
Singapore
Level Contributor
192 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

You can check the Hotel 81 or Fragrance Hotel groups within that budget but low frills and comfy for a stay indoors and ample options on location. I would suggest to skip the bird park and do the Zoo/Night Safari in 1 sitting. There are many actitivites on Sentosa and USS would probably take 1/2 a day unless you wanna hit the rides more than 2x each depending on queues. Nov-Dec is the school holidays so expect longer waiting lines in attractions in Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,228 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

As you are travelling during a peak period, another affordable area to consider is the Balestier/Novena area which has several budget hotels of varying quality. Plenty of dining options at Novena and the MRT station is not far from the city centre.

New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

Hi what’s the difference in zoo and night safari would you suggest doing both the activities and keeping a day for both the activities.

New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

Hi thanks for the help what would be an ideal budget for hotels in Singapore and can I get a 2 day pass for USS and Sentosa so that I can return to the hotel after USS and comeback on the 2nd day to visit Sentosa on the same pass.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary

Hi Sarah are any of these hotels located around orchard road or marina. I would not want to stay in Geylang as I read some poor reviews about Geylang.

Mentioned in this post
Geylang
Geylang
Singapore, Singapore
Reply to: Singapore-Malaysia Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted