We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antidepressants in Singapore

London UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Antidepressants in Singapore

Recent news stories have made me a bit concerned about the issue of travelling with prescription medications, so can anyone help with advice for users of common antidepressants (Sertraline specifically) travelling into Singapore?

I would only need to take around 2 weeks worth of tablets so obviously for personal use, but I am not sure if they come under the heading of "psychotropic medications*. I would have thought they do, but I couldn't see Sertraline on the list of such substances when I looked on the official site.

Can anyone help?

4 replies to this topic
1. Re: Antidepressants in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 November 2017, 03:51
Edited: 14 November 2017, 03:51

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,399 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antidepressants in Singapore

As long as it does not appear in the First Schedule, you don't need to apply for a licence.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antidepressants in Singapore

Its all down to the biochemical class, as thats what gets them on Appendix A from the HSA. If its there, you need a licence and to declare that on arrival. If its prescription only but not Appendix A in Singapore bring a copy of your UK prescription but you dont need to prearrange a licence. Psychotropic is quite specific and doesnt mean everything that potentially affects the mind.

hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Re… is the page you can link the relevant list from.

Edited: 14 November 2017, 04:35
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antidepressants in Singapore

Also....which news stories raised this? If you are talking about the Brit reported as taking Tramadol and Naproxen to Egypt then that's really not the same. While that story raises issues of differences in licensing and permissibility of different drugs in different territories that is important to know, there are many such issues when travelling as to what you have to check you can take in to a foreign country.

Most importantly, that case is not taking for personal use as the stories report that they were taking them in for someone else, and taking excessive quantities (290 pills is months of supply, well about the 3months/90 days that is a common cutoff) - a presumably therefore didn't have the required paperwork for what is a Controlled Drug

Both those issues take it well outside the issues of a normal traveller's worries about Controlled Drugs vs Prescription vs territorial differences in status when carrying medicine that they use themselves and sticking to the requirements for importing such meds.

Reply to: Antidepressants in Singapore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted